Fleas on Thrift Furniture?

i was just wondering if any of you have had problems with fleas on thrift store furniture. my boyfriend and i just bought two lovely chairs from a thrift store and they're made of wood and are upholstered in what looks to be leather. they're in pretty good shape, and don't look particularly dirty (although we are planning on cleaning them with lysol/the vacuum thoroughly...)

i was just wondering what your experiences have been with thrift furniture, and if you think fleas are an issue in general. i ask mostly because after we got them in the house i remembered reading a horror story on the old getcrafty/glitter board about someone who had to move out for a week while pest control fumigated!

can fleas even live in leather?

thanks!

2. # ADS

Fleas can live anywhere there are crevices. But there's a reason they aren't likely on your thrifted leather chairs: Dogs or cats are the usual vectors for fleas and they leave tell tale marks on leather furniture. Teeth or nails, or with some dogs, just sitting in the same spot all the time will leave a dog shadow of sorts.

I've gotten several pieces of thrifted upholstered furniture and never had a problem with fleas.

I have heard that when you buy used upholstered furniture you should leave it on a covered porch outside overnight and use an anti-flea spray/powder.

Well I htink it was on this very site that I saw and articel by an unfortunatle young lady who bought a stool with a FUR cover on it and it had fleas.

I've never had any trouble with furniture I've bought from thrifts. And actually, ALL my furniture has come from thrifts.

My first couch came from a thrift and yes, it had fleas. :(

If you treat whatever you buy, you'll probably be OK. At least you're already aware of the prospect.

fleas are gnarly. They can live for years as unhatched pupae. They can withstand extremes of temperature. They will hatch upon feeling vibrations.
    I don't think you would have problems with leather furniture except in the crevices, and even that wouldn't be too much.

well, despite this post and all your good advice i haven't treated the chairs yet. we live in a small apartment and have a porch, but its also small and crowded. do you think they would be worth treating after being here for a week already?

also, what are the tell-tale signs that your furniture has fleas? that probably is a stupid question but i'm really not sure! i don't think these chairs are suspect, really, since they dont seem to have withheld abuse from animals and they are leather. but for future reference it would be good to know. :)

thanks again!

The main tell tale sign is getting bitten by fleas!

Remove Ads

Ads