View Poll Results: Do you wear shoes in your house?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope.

52 70.27%
  • Yep.

22 29.73%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes & houses

Shoes & houses

In Sweden people don't wear shoes in the house, which I think is nice. You automatically take them off when you go into somebody's house. I get to show off my cute socks, & it keeps my room a lot cleaner, especially in the winter when your shoes get all muddy. But my family in the US would never do that. We've discussed, & they think it's dumb. My parents buy carpet the color of the dirt outside, so you won't be able to see when it's dirty. Swedish people ask me about this fairly frequently (meaning not THAT often, but way more than you'd think), & when you think about it, it's gross: all that dirt & dog poo & whatever from your shoes is now in your carpets where you're lying & watching tv or setting your baby on. Plus carpet is much more common in the US, whereas wooden floors are normal here, & it seems like the carpet is much harder to get clean. You know? Is it rude to ask your guests to take off their shoes? Like people you don't know that well, & when they're definitely not expecting it so they're maybe not wearing nice socks?
    I was just thinking about this because of the fly lady thread, about how she says to wear lace-up shoes in the house. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS

I put yes because I will wear shoes in the house, but only if they are clean (like, when I get dressed to go out in the morning, I'll wear them around the house before I leave), but in general I take them off when I come home and especially so if there is any inclimate weather outside.
    I don't think I would ever ask guests to, but I always take them off when I go over someone else's house even if they don't ask.

During the summer, I don't care if shoes get worn in the house. During the winter, however, it drives me crazy that my husband will come in the house with his snowy boots/shoes and walk everywhere. We don't have carpet, so it leave dirty, freezing cold puddles everywhere. I wear slippers, but my 2 year old takes hers off all the time and yells at her daddy when her socks get wet.

I never wear shoes in the house, mostly because I hate wearing shoes. I always take them off at other peoples' houses, too. I don't ASK people to take theirs off in my house, but usually they will anyway when they see a couple of pairs of shoes by the front door. I do usually say something like "feel free to take your shoes off if you want," because sometimes people seem to think it's an insult to the host if they take off their shoes; I don't really understand that, though.

I hate hate hate wearing shoes, especially in my own home. I'm wearing shoes now because I'm too lazy to put them back on for when I go to lunch/class in an hour.

I almost never wear shoes at home, though.

And this is GROSS GROSS GROSS of me to admit, but I don't wear shower shoes, either.

I know.
    I'm heinous.

I also don't have my meningcoccal vaccination, and I live in a dorm.

Probably too much irrelevant information.

I don't wear shoes at home, because I hate wearing shoes! Also, it's just amazing how much dirt shows up on the mat where we leave our shoes, so I'm glad to keep that crap out of the carpet!
    Buuut, if I go to someone else's house, I do whatever the people that live there do, I figure it's a pretty good barometer of what is expected.

I put "no" because more often than "yes" I am barefoot in the house. My husband wears his shoes in the house, though, so it is not a rule.

We have hardwood floors and only one area rug that doesn't get walked on, so I don't think much about what is tracked in. We have very stiff door mats that brush most of everything off.

I do not wear shoes in the house simply because I hate shoes and want them off the second it is socially exceptable.

We have a very strict no-shoe rule in our house. It's my boyfriend's rule, not mine. His mom is Turkish, and in Turkey no one ever ever ever wears shoes in the house, so he just grew up that way. Now I think the rule is mostly in place because he does most of the cleaning and doesn't want the floors to get dirty as quickly, though.

i pretty much hate wearing shoes, so i hardly ever have shoes on when i am in a house. unless the floor is nasty or i'm wearing shoes that are hard to get on and off, i kick them off by the door. i always, unlike Britney Spears, wear shoes in places like gas station bathrooms.

when i have my own house, it will probably be shoe-free. it keeps the floor much cleaner, and is, i feel, a nice thing to do. but i'm not going to be uptight about it and make delivery guys take their shoes off and stuff.

I don't like wearing outdoor shoes in the house but I have my house slippers if my feet get cold and I don't wear these outside....

It's pretty much my rule because that's how it was when I was growing up. It is one of my peeves when someone wears their shoes in my house so no I don't have a problem asking my guests to take their shoes off also I think it's rude when people don't take their shoes off when entering someone's place, I believe that you should respect their space.

I have a question, what about smokers in a non-smoking home.
    Almost all of my bf's friends are smokers and when I moved in with my bf I told him that I didn't want smoking in our place. Every now and then some of his friends will ask if they can smoke in the house knowing that I am a non-smoker. It bugs me sometimes because the think that for special occasions I'll cave but I also feel like I'm making it uncomfortable for his friends when we have them over for a gathering.

What are your thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads