Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair breakage?

Hair breakage?

(long...I really need to learn to keep my posts short... :-)

My cousin has problems with her hair breaking, not at one length but completely randomly. She's also been feeling cold. Her mother talked to the doctor who said that they should test her for thyroid problems, but that it could also be due to her gluten intolerance (she was diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago due to her stomach problems - the blood test showed antibodies but the biopsy showed nothing, so it seems a bit weird, but celiac disease runs in our family). He basically said that if it's due to thyroid malfunction, it can be treated with medicines (but he sounded very negative about it too) but if it was because of the gluten intolerance, it wouldn't be treatable...hopefully it's not due to that, because I don't think any 15-year-old would be too pleased with the prospect of having to wear a wig... :-(

Anyway, it sounds quite weird to me. Admittedly I'm not a doctor and I don't know much about medicine (or about the human body for that matter) but it sounds strange that someone who's been eating a gluten free diet for a year would suddenly start showing symptoms of celiac disease - the diet should remove those symptoms, no? So, possibly (and hopefully) it has got to do with the thyroid, which is at least treatable...but even so, if my hair was breaking, I'd think more in terms of mineral loss or lack of something else - she doesn't eat a lot (no eating disorder, she just eats slowly and not so much) and doesn't like meat etc (but doesn't eat vegetabilic protein instead). Feeling cold/bad circulation could also be helped by stuff like more exercise or taking essential fatty acids, so if there is no bigger issue behind these symptoms, it seems a bit unnecessary to start taking medicines. So, as my aunt is computer illiterate, I'm doing some internet "research"...googling as I write, but I haven't found much yet.

Has anyone of you had problems with hair breakage or do you know someone who do? What caused it?

I should probably mention that as far as I know, she doesn't use any harsh chemicals in her hair (probably not even hair spray etc).

2. # ADS

Re: Hair breakage?

Quote Originally Posted by teagrrl
    Her mother talked to the doctor who said that they should test her for thyroid problems, but that it could also be due to her gluten intolerance (she was diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago due to her stomach problems - the blood test showed antibodies but the biopsy showed nothing, so it seems a bit weird, but celiac disease runs in our family). He basically said that if it's due to thyroid malfunction, it can be treated with medicines (but he sounded very negative about it too) but if it was because of the gluten intolerance, it wouldn't be treatable...hopefully it's not due to that, because I don't think any 15-year-old would be too pleased with the prospect of having to wear a wig... :-(
    One of my friends has this same disorder - when I see her I'll ask her about the hair breakage.
    She just had thyroid surgery over christmas break and it's supposed to help her sleep patterns (she was sleeping over 12 hours a day) and she's been super strict about her diet this year. Thank goodness we live in a super hippie town so the grocery stores carry all the alternatives that she needs to get proper nutrients.

I have had hair problems off and on for 10 years as I have a thyroid condition. If you say shes cold all the time it could be hypothyroidism which is what I have now. When my hair starts to break real bad it usually means thyroid is out of whack again. I usually get it cut short(I have no choice because it looks so bad) and once I get regulated on my meds the problem goes away and I grow my hair out again.

Thank you for your replies! Yeah, she's going to have blood tests done to check whether she has hypothyroidism. My aunt mentioned yesterday that she (my cousin) had also had period problems which according to the sites I've read can also be a symptom. As can lack of appetite. So I guess we can just hope that whatever the problem is, it's treatable.

MRSM103, I'm glad the meds work for you!

Everyone should take care about our body because it is very important for everyone. You can get top essay writer to manage your thesis work. If we take care in real meaning then nothing will hurt out body. Specially, everyone care about the hairs because these are the outer look of any guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSM103 View Post
    I have had hair problems off and on for 10 years as I have a thyroid condition. If you say shes cold all the time it could be hypothyroidism which is what I have now. When my hair starts to break real bad it usually means thyroid is out of whack again. I usually get it cut short(I have no choice because it looks so bad) and once I get regulated on my meds the problem goes away and I grow my hair out again.
    Nice point of view

I prefer to cut my hair several times a year

Quote Originally Posted by swipka777 View Post
    I prefer to cut my hair several times a year
    The same

Good theme, I like what you have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Delliar View Post
    The same
    Same here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads