Hard Water Stains

Does anyone have a method of cleaning and/or preventing hard water stains that they swear by? (we have a rental so water softener isn't really an option)

I used Bon Ami alternating with vinegar and scrubbed till I couldn't scrub anymore and I got most of it off, but I don't want to have to go through that again!

2. # ADS

i'm assuming you're talking about stains in your shower?

the only thing i've tried that really gets chalky mineral buildup off is hard water deposit removing shower cleaner. most of them have citric or phosphoric acid in them. neither of those things are horribly toxic, but you do want to use them in a well-ventilated room or the mist will make your throat hurt. i've tried vinegar, and it just doesn't work as well as the spray-on shower cleaner.

if you get rust stains, the only thing i've found to lighten them is Kaboom. as seen on TV. the toilets at my house are badly rust stained, and i think the stain is so deep in the porcelain that it's permanent. but the newish fiberglass bathtub and white tile surround cleans up well with Kaboom.

once you clean your shower, use a daily shower spray (some vinegar and water with a few drops of dish soap would probably work) after every use.

To get out really bad water stains in the toilet, use muriatic acid. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS STUFF.... WEAR GOLVES. I pour alittle in the toilet bowl and close the lid.,(so I dont breathe in the fumes) leave it sit for about 15 mins and it will look brand new. You dont need to scrub at all. You can find it in most hardware stores.

Yeah I meant the shower/sink/toilet :)

Last night I mixed some vinegar and water and let it soak in the sink for a couple hours and it worked amazingly! I'm buying a big jug of vinegar now!

Plain citric acid. That works for water kettles/coffee machines at least.

I've tryed CRL, every brand of shower cleaner, vinegar, and brillo pads and I still get white rings around my burgandy tub. I'm convinced that if I just drink a glass of our tap water I don't have to take a calcuim supplement! I'd like to try that muriatic acid but am afriad I might die in the bathroom like Elvis!

Remove Ads

Ads