web design + macs

anybody who has a mac and a website, what do you use to make websites and then upload 'em? on my PC, i would do all the html by hand in Notepad and upload it to my server in a browser window.

so...i can't find a program on my mac like Notepad and it won't give permission to upload files to my server!?! i had to download preview copies of FETCH and TEXT MATE, but they're like $40 a piece (and i'm on a budget)...it's so frustrating! any tips would be a huge help!

2. # ADS

Welcome to happy mac world.

I like SubEthaEdit, which was formerly called the much more friendly Hydra, but changed because someone already had that name. Sure, it's coolness is that you can have multiple people edit your file at once, but it's a simple plaintext editor like Notepad too. And you can get it to color code your HTML too if you set it that way. It's cool once you get used to it.

I don't ftp often, but I would guess there's something built-in. If nothing else you can delve into the scary world of the Terminal like a linux geek and use ncftp, but it's not easy to do by yourself, having a linux dork to show you what to do would help a lot.

Summary: Google for SubEthaEdit and ncftp (if no one else can be more helpful than me on that)

is SimpleText the same as Notepad? it's what I use to write my HTML (or used to, I'm mostly blogging now so don't really need it currently).

SimpleText, as far as I know, is a standard Mac plaintext editor, like Notepad is for Windows. I might be missing some obvious key element that you need, though, since I've never used Notepad. :)

Yeah I heard SubEthaEdit is pretty good and it's free. I personally use BBEdit and Fetch together, can't live without the other, and well worth the price. Tip: Stay away from Dreamweaver if simplicity's what you're going for.

Gah, Dreamweaver is *such* a bad port of windows software to Macs, it never works right and it doesn't look right either. Their FTPing is nice, though, gotta say.

SimpleText was back on OS9, I think, I don't see it in my Applications folder... you can also use TextEdit in no-formatting mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    SimpleText was back on OS9, I think, I don't see it in my Applications folder... you can also use TextEdit in no-formatting mode.
    ha, I just upgraded to OSX at home and I think you're right. we're still using OS9 at work because of all the applications we use that haven't worked out OSX bugs yet, so I didn't think about that. now that I think about it, though, I remember doing a Find at home for SimpleText and coming up empty.

I'm so lame and out of date. ignore me, please.

I use Dreamweaver to build and upload my own stuff, but sometimes when I have to upload stuff for work I use a free FTP program called RBrowserLite which I found at http://www.versiontracker.com/ and is just as easy as fetch.

For coding, you could try BBEdit Lite (also at VersionTracker). There's also one called Taco HTML Edit but I've never used that one so I'm not sure how it is (gets 5 stars at VT).

I use Emacs for editing and RBrowserLite for uploading. I like Emacs because it's got colored syntax. I have some applescripts I can give you to automate some repetitive tasks (I have one that opens up the source of a webpage in Emacs). Sometimes I also use OpenOffice for editing, although it's hard to harmonize it with Emacs.
    Netscape Composer is good for beginners (and it's free)

Remove Ads

Ads