Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pot or not?

I agree about the "war on drugs" since, according to the book Policing the Nation, the war on drugs is sort of more like a "war on people of certain colors who are connected with drugs."

2. # ADS

Legalize it. There is no good reason why alcohol is legal and pot is not.

I'm somewhere in the middle. Obviously there's no good to society when you lock up someone who is productive and gets the munchies sometimes. But it is an addictive substance, if not physically like legal smoking, then emotionally like legal alcohol. (NB: my parents are recovering alcoholics, and I've had two uncles and a grandfather die from alcohol-related cancers.) So I don't think it should (or could, likely) go straight from an illegal act to a socially acceptable one - I would hope it would be lumped in with tobacco smoking. Frowned on socially rather than legally, reversing the way things are today.

People with any addiction are trying to fill a void in their lives, and we should try to help them fill that productively rather than through the total ostracization of jailing.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    I think it should be decriminalized but I do not think it is harmless.
    exactly. and I also think that it's stupid that alcohol is legal but not pot, and that pot should basically be treated the same as alcohol.

that said, I've never tried it. getting a faux high on sugar cubes is the closest I've ever come to drug use, because I have a very prone-to-addiction (addictive?) personality.

I have been known to get a little soapbox-y when it comes to pregnant women smoking pot, but that instance involved one individual whom I have very little liking for anyway, so I may have been a little biased. I have no knowledge of whether it affects the fetus negatively or not, so I can't stand on that soapbox very well.

I certainly do think that some folks get ridiculous amounts of jail time for having small quantities of pot. If you're not selling to kids or anything like that, and you;re not driving under the influence, why should anyone care if you have a little pot and toke up at home?

I support decriminalization. I think there should be some other restrictions, though, like there are for underage kids that have alcohol and about driving while high.

The part that really really pisses me off, though, is that the Feds are so uptight about it that even medical use isn't allowed (and the Justice Dept is trying to conitnue that policy even in states that have held referena for medical use). I can almost see why some people would support generally keeping it illegal, but why do people seem to want to foce the ill to suffer? My uncle has AIDS and marijuana honestly has helped him restore his appetite, feel less pain, and combat the wasting syndrome seen in AIDS patients. Grrrr.

(end rant)

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    People with any addiction are trying to fill a void in their lives, and we should try to help them fill that productively rather than through the total ostracization of jailing.
    Well put kindarana. Everyone I know who abuses pot (and/or alcohol) is using to self-medicate rather than deal with the problem driving them to that behavior. I think it's possible for people to smoke pot and drink alcohol responsibly, I'm not straight-edge myself, but I also think that both substances are easily abused and can be destructive forces in people's lives.

legalize it

I'm another one who has never tried pot or other drugs. I'm uninhibited enough! Also rather petite..so I kinda like to be fully aware of my surroundings when out and about. No major moral issues, just self preservation. Nearly all of my friends have done an amazing assortment of drugs. Not all of them have survived. Many of the kids I work with are Rehab veterans at 15.

I see the same problems with pot as with alcohol: Some folks can handle it and Some can't. In terms of legalization, would this be a growth industry for RJ Reynolds? Phillip Morris? Who would oversee the THC levels? I mean who is going to protect the consumer? Monitor for impurities? At what age would it be legal? 21 for alcohol in Ohio.

For those who have difficulty with cigarettes and alcohol addictions, how will this effect them? Will there be Fed. $$$ for treatment programs? OH! A Pot Tax!

If our politicians would open their narrow tight ass minds they could make so much revenue with the purchase of marijuana...taxable product...this would make millions for our country and help get us out of the red! It's the purchaser caution for use just like cigs.. and penalties for having the large quanties with fines should be established. Alcohol is legal! Get caught driving under the influence get high fines and jail time same should be straight across the board! People are caught w/DWI with RX for pain and get away with it! Granny all cracked up on her meds driving to play bingo hits kids walking home from school??????
    Think about it ...the companies that fleeces and runs America are the Pharmaceutical companies! A pharmacist in the websters dictionary is considered a dealer in drugs!!! LOL

I liked Bush when he was a smackhead!!!

Poke some SMot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads