Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pot or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Granny all cracked up on her meds driving to play bingo hits kids walking home from school??????

I liked Bush when he was a smackhead!!!
    LOL!! Granny cracked up on meds. LOL. That just hit me the right way.

Bush was a smackhead?

:)

2. # ADS

Wow, can't believe so many others agree but...
    LEGALIZE IT!!!!

What really makes me angry is that a rapist can be let out of prison faster than a pot head. What the hell!!!

And yes, I do smoke the wacky tobaccy in the home:)

pot definately should be legalized. i think it's insane that a natural herb carries so much more stigma and penalties than alcohol and pharmaceutical drugs, which are generally far more harmful. compare the annual # of deaths related to cyrrhosis (sp?) and alcohol poisoning and prescription drug overdoses and deaths due to drug interactions:

pot=zero
    legal drugs + alcohol + tobacco + caffeine = 537,000 (national institute on drug abuse)

plus all of the aforementioned reasons including the amount of jail time a person who grows even 1 plant can receive (life in prison in some states) to what rapists and child molesters serve (they often walk free). insanity.

legalize it!

I think it should be legalized. I think it would take a while for america to get used to it. There would be lots of problems in the beginning, but like most people are saying, if cigarettes and alcohol are legal, pot should be as well. Pot is the only drug I've tried because other drugs are just scary to me. I trust a plant. I don't trust chemicals. Even shrooms scare me, even though they are natural.
    I hands down agree with boundaries being set, like not driving under the influence. I think it's going to be a long time before america will legalize it. Most likely in my life time, but who knows?
    Oh, and the justice system is just F'ed up. It really rises my blood. But that's a whole other post.

probably not a popular opinion...

I have no problem with someone smoking up in the comfort of their own home, however that's not realistic. People are so stupid that they can't even avoid drinking and driving and we all know that there are people out there who drive under the influence of pot also. My worry is that if pot was legalized that the number accidents due to DUI's in this country would double. In 2002, an estimated 17,419 people died in alcohol–related traffic crashes—an average of one every 30 minutes, what might it be if pot were legalized?

Again, I don't care if you want to smoke your shoes at home, but as someone living a drugfree lifestyle I don't want to have to worry about someone deciding to take their fun on the road and hurt me and other innocent people.

I second your unpopular opinion

[quote="blumen"]I have no problem with someone smoking up in the comfort of their own home, however that's not realistic. People are so stupid that they can't even avoid drinking and driving and we all know that there are people out there who drive under the influence of pot also. My worry is that if pot was legalized that the number accidents due to DUI's in this country would double. In 2002, an estimated 17,419 people died in alcohol–related traffic crashes—an average of one every 30 minutes, what might it be if pot were legalized?quote]

You are so right. And as far as I know, there's no test to determine if someone is high on marijuana or not, so how can authorities control getting high and driving? I know you can smell it and see someone who looks wasted, but when's the last time you heard someone being convicted of "acting" drunk while driving? There's always the blood/alcohol level test. Since there's no test for marijuana, to me it's like legalizing drinking alcohol and driving.

"Driving under the influence" encompasses both alcohol and marijuana/drugs, I do believe.

What studies have been done to show the effects of driving under the influence of marijuana? I mean, unless the person was really stoned, I'd question how much it'd affect driving. The ONLY reason I say this is because of all the people functioning on tons of painkillers and still driving around.

I'm not sure if it's easy to answer, but right now, I'd rather deal with that later than send people to jail unfairly.

"Driving under the influence" encompasses both alcohol and marijuana/drugs, I do believe.

What studies have been done to show the effects of driving under the influence of marijuana? I mean, unless the person was really stoned, I'd question how much it'd affect driving. The ONLY reason I say this is because of all the people functioning on tons of painkillers and still driving around.

I'm not sure if it's easy to answer, but right now, I'd rather deal with that later than send people to jail unfairly.
    DUIs do include alcohol and marijuana right now, with pot's current illegal statis -- that's why I said I would fear it would double if pot were legalized.

Most prescribed painkillers have labels saying you should not drive while taking them. I was confused by that comment -- I'm not sure of the statistics of all the people functioning on tons of painkillers and driving around -- or were you including them in the DUI statistics too? Research shows that smoking pot affects concentration, perception, coordination and reaction time, many of the skills required for safe driving – and these effects can last up to 24 hours.

I'm sorry, but the safety of me and my loved ones is more important than someone going to jail for something purely recreational.

Quote Originally Posted by blumen

DUIs do include alcohol and marijuana right now, with pot's current illegal statis -- that's why I said I would fear it would double if pot were legalized.

Research shows that smoking pot affects concentration, perception, coordination and reaction time, many of the skills required for safe driving – and these effects can last up to 24 hours.

I'm sorry, but the safety of me and my loved ones is more important than someone going to jail for something purely recreational.
    I have heard cases where people's level of painkillers or other medication were tested and determined to be too high for safe driving and the person was punished for that. Usually that involved a traffic accident with serious injury and/or death.

I'm all for legalizing marijuana. People smoke it anyway, so why not profit off it by taxing the heck out of it. However, until such legal matters as regulating the growth and sale so we can keep it out of the hands of children, developing tests to determine levels of "highness" to keep DUIs to a minimum and education on the full effects with regards to driving, operating machinery, functioning in society, etc. can be resolved, I don't think just flat out letting people do what they want with it is the answer.

Decriminalize it like the Canadians are thinking. The courts, jails, and prisons are overflowing!

I'm with kindarana and brdgt. There are people who are going to try to get high regardless of what's legal and what's not - huffing, for example. They have issues that aren't going to be addressed with sentencing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads