Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pot or not?

Pot or not?

The smoking thread got me to thinking. I'm not asking if anyone here smokes because it's not my business, but do you feel marijuana should be legalized or not? And should it be for everyone or just people with medical problems?

What other drugs would you legalize if any?

Personally I feel grass should be legal. I'm tired of people going to jail for a little pot. That said, I think it should be used responsibly, like liquor- ie: no driving or power tools.

;)

edited for dumb typos :)

2. # ADS

I like the approach Canada is making.

Right now there is a bill going through Parliament, and if passed, would, effectively, decriminalize small possessions of marijuana.

If passed, the bill would

decriminalize possession of less than 15 grams of pot -- about 15 to 20 joints. Instead of a criminal record, the bill proposes fines of between $100 to $400.

The bill maintains or increases penalties for large-scale growers and traffickers.
    Not only would it free up jails, but also police would be able to focus on more serious crimes.

Here's a link to an article about the bill: article

Re: Pot or not?

Quote Originally Posted by tinstarmerchant
    I think it should be used responsibly, like liquor- ie: no driving or power tools.
    That's pretty much my thinking as well. If alcohol is legal then marijuana should be legal too. As I see it they have comparable potentials for an individual to harm themself or others if they misuse it.

I'm not quite sure how the country would handle it if pot were ever to be legalized, though. How much would the government regulate it? How high would the taxes be on it? Would giant agriculture (or tobacco?) companies start growing acres of it in Nebraska? Would people be able to handle it or would abuse increase? Lots to think about.

I absolutely think it should be legal. It's only because of long-outdated corporate interest politics that it isn't.

However, I'm hesitant to voice that opinion sometimes because I hate the stuff. I did my share of "experimenting" in my younger days; it always had an unpleasant effect on me and I never enjoyed it; and it makes me uncomfortable when people use it in my presence (mostly because it's such a social thing and I feel left out).

I worry that people, hearing me say I think pot should be legalized, will assume I like to smoke it. And then I feel all hypocritical because if, as I claim, I think there's nothing wrong with it (if it's what you like), it shouldn't bother me if others make that assumption. But it still does, 'cause, like, hey, I ain't no pothead!

Yeah, I've never tried it, actually, but I'm for legalization or at least decriminalisation. I think the "war on drugs" is a waste of money. Not that I'm saying drug use should in any way be encouraged, but those dumb-ass commercials in the US a year or two ago about how smoking pot was supporting terrorists?! Come on. I don't have any suggestions, but there's got to be something better out there! By legalizing, the industry could be more regulated, & taxes could be levied to be used for recovery programs & stuff. I think for awhile, pot use would go up. But there are already SO many who smoke, that I don't think it would be a big problem. Seriously, I think I know less than 10 people who have never smoked pot.

yeah. legalize it.

The sooner we legalize it, the sooner we can stop jailing people who don't deserve to go to jail.

Legalize it. It makes my blood boil whenever I read about someone going to jail for a ridiculously long time for having been caught with a small amount of pot, but then seeing someone who's on their third DWI and has killed someone getting only a year. That just ain't right.

I think it should be decriminalized but I do not think it is harmless. I think people need help, not prison. I've seen just as many lives ruined by pot as alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan
    Yeah, I've never tried it, actually, but I'm for legalization or at least decriminalisation. I think the "war on drugs" is a waste of money.
    Me too. I've never done it and never want to, but that's my choice. I think too much money is spent on anti-drug campagining. People are going to do it anyway. And it's a plant, for goodness sake. They made a plant illegal! I think the commercials are a waste of time and money, as are the small time arrests. I do think that in school, more emphasis should be made on educating children on what different drugs actually DO to your body and your brain, and not just "Oh, don't do drugs. They're bad." Tell them WHY for goodness sake! Give them the science!

The money the government spends on the "war on drugs" could go towards so many better causes. My vote is education -- let's raise teachers salaries, clean up inner city schools and give them equipment and books for their classrooms. Maybe the more educated children are, the less interesting drugs will be to them. What a novel idea.

- Steph

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads