View Poll Results: What do you think of Oprah?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • She's wonderful, life-affirming, and a great example of a self-made woman

13 30.23%
  • She interrupts too much, and is trying to be everything to everybody

15 34.88%
  • Who cares?

15 34.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OPRAH

i must admit to being deeply moved by oprah. i think she's a leader and someone who's trying to have a positive influence on the world. i love women who are big; who are influential and make waves! i feel teary just thinking about her. maybe it's b/c i'm an old lady? who knows. i totally see how she could be annoying, but i just love her. but then again, i also love madonna and courntey love. all my friends think i'm nuts!

2. # ADS

There are always back issues of O in our lunchroom, so I have read through many issues. The thing that annoyed me the most about it was that all of the stuff mentioned--from anti-wrinkle cream to scarves and handbags--was outrageously expensive. $115 for lotion? I doubt the mag's average "every woman" reader could afford that.

I never see any diet-related shows or anything. O Magazine is outrageously expensive here (imported) so I don't buy it.
    I love her "favorite things" shows and gift suggestions, but they are always pricey. I make quite a decent income and still I would never spend that kind of money on for example: having special pastry delivered somewhere in the country as a gift for like 50 dollars. Heck, I'll buy jeans for that kind of money.

But I always love her "surprise"-shows and giving stuff away. Of course any company is happy to give free stuff away on the Oprah show, it can't be beat as advertisement.

Now if only I could get Oprah to wear one of my necklaces. haha

I love Oprah. I TiVo her show every day! I especially love when she shows normal people doing extraordinary things. it gives me hope!

But I'm bummed with her too - I've written her countless letters about my younger sister who is 29 and has never been on a date or even had her hand held by a guy (she is very shy!). Don't you think that would make an interesting topic for a show - woemn who have never been asked out? How do they deal? I have this perfect vision of Oprah fixing my sister up for her first date with a NY firefighter and giving her a fabulous makeover and making her feel special.

But..sigh..no repsonse yet!

CAN'T. STAND.

And oh man, that episode a few weeks ago where to honor the introduction of YET ANOTHER SELF-CONGRATULATING MAGAZINE (O Home) she gives us a tour of her house? Bwahahahahaha. Some people should just never get money. My mother and I were howling/gagging at her 2-star Radisson Hotel room on acid that expoded into a 38 room estate. Nice DUST RUFFLES and matching PUFFY VALANCE Oprah!! I can only hope her magazine offers such sophisticated advice in an article entitled 'DOING IT TO DEATH" perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    i must admit to being deeply moved by oprah. i think she's a leader and someone who's trying to have a positive influence on the world. i love women who are big; who are influential and make waves! i feel teary just thinking about her. maybe it's b/c i'm an old lady? who knows. i totally see how she could be annoying, but i just love her. but then again, i also love madonna and courntey love. all my friends think i'm nuts!
    I agree with this. Oprah is, and has been doing her thing. Point blank. She has mdae it possible for people to start thinking about and talking about things we otherwise would gloss over. No, it doesn't apply to all of us, but she has given a forum of sorts to issues great and small and has done it all without an air of arrogance or superiority. She has achieved success on her own terms, and is an example to women out there that we can do our thing without conforming to anyone else's idea of what a successful woman should be.

I hardly watch her show anymore (I haven't really seen it in years), more because I am not into the talk show thing anymore and am not home when her show comes on. And if I did...the interrupting thing would probably annoy me too because that is one of my biggest pet peeves! But I will always give Oprah props for what she has done.

I didn't vote but I would have to say..obviously she is semi powerful if we have a 2 page thread on her:)

I respect her, and how she's trying to make some postive changes in the world, but I lost most of my respect for her when she threw herself that rediculously expensive (it was upwards of a million bucks) birthday party in January.

I would probably vote for both options. I actually admire Oprah when all is said and done, but whenever I catch her show I usually observe a sort of cautionary "look what fame and power can do to a person" dynamic working on her. Like even she is in awe of her persona.

For example, I watched some of the show featuring Brad Pitt and there was this moment that bugged me....where he was praising her for some charity work she'd done in Africa. I don't know--that celebrity mutual adoration/kow-tow stuff always turns me off. It seemed that Oprah was reveling in his acknowledgements and in the next second, forgetting all about that to revel in the fabulousness of her celebrity life. I mean, it's wonderful that she built a school for the children of some African village, but to soak up the credit sort of detracts from the reality of that situation, and then to just rush on about her birthday party or whatever it was....left me with sort of a bad taste.

Hmm. I feel I'm being unduly hard on her. Maybe it's because she accomplishes so many good things that I want to project my ideal of that persona upon her. I find it disappointing when she comes across as vapidly designer-name-dropping or being a pushy interrupter in interviews.

But I can say there have been a few times when something that was said on her show was personally helpful to me. I appreciate the effort she is making and all the good she does. I guess I shouldn't expect her to be on a pedestal...but I just want her to be 100% grounded all of the time! Like I said, I think fame and power could do that to anyone.

I'm not really into her show. But then, I can't stand any talk shows...so I don't bother even watching any of them, including hers.

I do think that she does some great things though. I read an article in her magazine, about her going to Africa to help out there.
    She had a day where little girls could come and get help, and be safe.
    She listened to them talk about getting beaten, and raped, and how hungry they were going. She made sure that organizations could help them.
    She also had lots of black dolls made, because those little girls only ever got white dolls. Never ones that looked anything like them at all, and she thought that was very, very sad. It was a moving article, and I wish I could remember more about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads