View Poll Results: What do you think of Oprah?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • She's wonderful, life-affirming, and a great example of a self-made woman

13 30.23%
  • She interrupts too much, and is trying to be everything to everybody

15 34.88%
  • Who cares?

15 34.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPRAH

OPRAH

Robot girl's comment about Oprah made me curious about how Oprah is seen among our craftistas.

Love her? Hate her? Indifferent to her?

Why?

I don't want to bias it, so I will not mention my views on her, at least not yet. . .

2. # ADS

I like her a lot, no worhship though. I may not enjoy all shows but I admire for all she has accomplished, seen where she came from.
    And I truly believe she is interested in doing the right thing: informing and entertaining people. God knows she doesn't need to do it for the money.

I will never forget the day I learned just how powerful Oprah is.

In the lunchroom one day, all of my coworkers were buzzing about some kind of new diet that Oprah had discussed on her show the afternoon before. (I work for a social services agency, and my office is 98% women. Although I've been here over three years, I am still the youngest--most everyone is old enough to be my mother here. ) I'm serious, they were kind of rabid about it--they just wouldn't stop talking about heart-healthy this and low-cholesterol that and on and on. I asked if I could look at what they'd pulled off the show's website, and the diet plan was orchestrated by Dr. Dean Ornish, a doc who pushes vegan diets on his heart patients. And the recipes listed where nearly vegan recipes. (I don't think that bit of info was relayed to the audience, but I recognized Ornish immediately.) I was floored that these set-in-their-ways souther-cooking women would be so up in arms about a nearly vegan diet. Just floored.

I figure if Oprah ever ran for president she could easily be our first female and African-American pres in no time flat. She's just THAT influential.

I voted positively for Oprah. Although I'm not a super fan or anything, I think she's done far more positive for women than negative.

As a librarian, I'm torn between admiring her ability to make reading and book clubs cool. But the titles she chose just seemed to play into all the issues she has of women overcoming their victimization. At least until the big hissyfit with Jonathon Franzen, at least!

But she certainly is influential. Both Martha and Rosie have tried to follow her example, but neither has had quite her success.

Quote Originally Posted by Snufkin
    But she certainly is influential. Both Martha and Rosie have tried to follow her example, but neither has had quite her success.
    I think one of the reasons Oprah is so incredibly successful is that she genuinely cares about people. I've noticed that she's one of the few people in the public eye who isn't afraid to actually reach out and physically comfort people. Regardless of how I feel about the books she chose or those flippin big "O"s all over the covers I really admire her generosity and depth of emotion for her fellow humans.

I picked "She interrupts too much, and is trying to be everything to everybody" for two reasons.

~Someone that interrupts that much ISN'T listening. I don't care how many times she sheds tears - those are tears for her own experiences not for the person talking. I understand that we relate to others by drawing on our own experiences - I don't think Oprah knows the difference.

~I understand that those same personal experiences color the way she interacts with people on her show. I still think she is a chameleon. She tries too hard to be part of everything - I don't think that is necessary to present something significant on her show. That is after all why there are "experts" there to comment. She can learn too along with the audience without looking poorly.

Just my two beans...

I don't hate Oprah as a person, and she has done some great things, but I can't stand watching her show because of the interrupting. I think it is so rude. Seems like the first rule of being a talk-show host should be "nod and listen" not "interrupt your guest to talk about yourself." Once she interrupted Elmo! I mean, he's annoying too, but for chrissakes, let the Muppet finish his sentence.

Also, it seems like the show changed directions, and become more focused on celebrities/diet trends/stripperobics than helping people. I guess they got a new executive producer, so there is some turmoil about that. that's the rumor I've heard, anyway.

Oh, and another thing that annoyed me is when the book club went away (or on hiatus--is it back?) she said it was because there was no good books left to read, or something. Way to dismiss 99% of the great books of the world, Ops.

Sometimes Oprah picks out good books. I just read The Poisonwood Bible which was really good.

I never watch the show, so I can't say anything else about her other than the fact that sometimes she picks out good books. I'm afraid I don't watch talk shows. I'm afraid I don't watch t.v. at all.

I'm so sick of hearing about diet trends. Does Oprah really continually talk about that sort of thing? Is she still not over the fact that sometimes she weighs one weight and then it goes up and then it goes down? Sheesh.

Oprah annoys me, too. The book club thing pissed me off to no end. "No more good books?" My English-minor self has some issues there.

There's just something about her that screams "I'm trying too hard!" to me. Some girl at my school went to a taping of her show once and said she was pretty bitchy.

I wish there were an option in that poll for "All of the above," because that's my real opinion.

Instead I just chose "who cares?" because I personally pay next to no attention to Oprah any more. I've only bought her magazine a couple of times (wanting to read a specific article, and then being disappointed by its shallowness). I'm not even aware of what her current behavior is toward her TV guests, since I haven't watched a full episode of her show in probably 10 years. I do know that that Dr. Phil annoys me to no end, and I'd do just about anything to avoid having to read or listen to his "advice."

But I agree that she's a self-made successful woman - self-made at least in the sense that she's now successful enough to have a huge staff to do everything for her. I've heard lots of stories of how generous she is with gifts to her friends, employees and show guests. One could argue that those are just material things that she can easily afford to give away and it's all meant for self-aggrandizement, but I'd guess that the recipients probably appreciate them just the same.

I like that Oprah is not a cookie-cutter celebrity; she's publicly shared her struggles with body and other personal issues and deserves credit for overcoming them. I don't like that she promotes condensed, quick-fix advice to her gullible audience when she's only been able to achieve her own results with the help of highly paid trainers, dieticians and therapists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads