Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Natural Remedies

Does anybody know of a natural way to help a sore throat and headache?

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS

for a sore throat, you can mix the juice of a lemon with a spoonful of honey and pour boiling water over it like tea. sip this when it's just barely cool enough to drink. honey is good for your throat. basically any tea is going to help, but slippery elm is extra good. Traditional Medicinals makes a tea with slippery elm and licorice root called "Throat Coat" that i go through boxes of during the winter.

you can also gargle with warm salt water for a sore throat. you want the water to be somewhat salty, but not so briney it is gross.

i think sinus rinses are very helpful for any kind of cold or headache symptoms. you can buy a bottle that squirts water up your nose (http://www.unimedprod.com/internetsearchspecial.html) or a neti pot. i have the bottle. they're cheap, and they work really well. you don't have to buy a pre-made mix, just use 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt or kosher salt (make sure it's pure, uniodized salt) and a tiny pinch of baking soda to 8 oz. warm water. use distilled water, or water that has boiled and then cooled.

the sinus rinse thing sounds kind of gross (you squirt water up your nose and spit it out your mouth) but it feels really excellent.

I find that almost all my headaches come from neck and shoulder tension, so see if you can stretch your neck or get someone to rub it. Even now, I've had a nasty cold for a week, the neck and shoulder stretching has helped.

Hot liquids are also awesome, I've been living off of Yogi Tea Throat Comfort, it's got licorice and whatever herbs, but there's also this cherry bark that is one of the roots in root beer, so it's super yummy. I drink it just for the taste sometimes :)

Also with sore throats be extra careful to breathe with your nose, breathing through your mouth can dehydrate it and make it feel worse.

Also don't forget to get plenty of rest (not necessarily in bed), and eat healthy food to give your body a chance to recover. IMO those are two very overlooked ways to treat any kind of disease.

Is the headache that you mention a cold symptom or is it unrelated to the sore throat? Different headaches have different remedies, I think...

***ETA: this totally goes against the "healthy food" idea that I wrote above, but ice cream is my favourite sore throat remedy. :-) I prefer soy-based ice cream though, as dairy tends to make my colds worse (I'm not saying it's that way for everyone, but it is for me and a lot of other people).

The headache is not related to a cold, just headaches in general, and sometimes hangover headaches. Thanks for all the advice :)

the remedy for a hangover headache is to not get one in the first place. when you get home (or decide to call it quits for the night, or whatever) drink huge quantities of water. as much as you can possibly make yourself drink. then take an Emergen-C (fizzy vitamin C powder) in another glass of water and down some Advil.

Advil on top of lots of alcohol is rough on your liver and stomach, so don't take any if you have problems with either.

the most important thing is to drink huge amounts of water. you're supposed to drink a glass of water for every alcoholic beverage, but sometimes that's just not practical. like when it's 4 am, you've been drinking since dinner, and you have to focus on a line in the sidewalk to walk forwards.

ahem.

Oh, for hangovers, be sure to drink lots of water before you go to bed, it's better to get up and pee in the night than hurt in the morning :)

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    Oh, for hangovers, be sure to drink lots of water before you go to bed, it's better to get up and pee in the night than hurt in the morning :)
    I highly second this. Also eat a lot of fiberous/spongey food before hitting the sack, it helps soak up the alcohol.. Before I leave for a big night out, I make sure I have something ready to eat in the fridge when I get home.

Feaverflew is good for headack, you can get it as a tea or pill at a heathfood store.

i have been sick for almost a week now, and i am so grossed out by things like nyquil and dayquil! they do not make me sleepy or energized, respectively. they just taste disgusting and make me more cranky.

lemon juice and honey has been helpful, but i still feel awful and am having trouble getting any rest...any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads