Stopping Credit Card Offers

i used to receive alot of credit card offers. I don't want these companies looking into my credit history. I've heard it lowers your credit score. I started writing them letters, stating simply that i would never accept the offer and wanted them to stop checking my credit history. After a few months i received alot less offers, hardly any. The lack of offers also might have had something to do with my changing addresses. So I'm not sure how much good my letters did.
    Anyway, I'm starting to get alot of offers again. And I'm starting to send these letters again, asking them to stop.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to get about 6 credit card companies to stop checking my credit history about once a month?

2. # ADS

Here's an article from The Dollar Stretcher that has a lot of info:
    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02nov11b.cfm

And here's a quote from an article the Motley Fool website: "To curtail credit card solicitations, call 888-5OPT-OUT and the credit bureaus will cease sending your name to credit card issuers."

And the DMA can put your name on a do-not-mail list (reduces junk mail, but I don't think it has anything to do with cc companies, still, it's helpful info):
    http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglistdave

oh my goodness. thank you so much. this is exactly what i was looking for.

you're welcome! I'm going through the same thing right now, it's such a pain.

I've done a lot of those things, it's great.
    My problem right now is we moved 6 months ago and we get at least three catalogs a day for the former resident, it just so much junk and I don't know how to make them stop because technically they aren't sending them to me.

thank you for that phone number! we get an absurd amount of offers.

and brdgt, you may be able to call the companies and ask that they stop sending catalogs to your address- it's practically a part-time job for me, but i really despise getting so much crap from companies who have bought mailing lists with my name on them.

it's really unbelievable how fast the junk mail piles up. i always call to opt out of stuff, if i have a catalogue or magazine subscription that i like, i continue receiving it, but i call to make sure they don't sell or rent my name to someone else. i also only have two credit cards, and am opted out on them, my bank card, and my cell phone, which pretty much covers it.

it sucks, but you really have to be aggressive with that stuff, or else you wind up in a sea of junk mail.

Remove Ads

Ads