Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Gardening

So what if there's a foot of snow outside my house. I've got a fever, and I can't wait for spring.

The previous occupants of our appartment (interestingly enough, my fiance's aunt) had a nice garden, but they didn't do anything last summer, since they were moving. But the garden area is still there, and I think with a little work, we could get the soil ready again. So that's exciting. I'm planning on definately having some tomatoes and bell peppers, and maybe some kolarabi (sp?). What do you gals like to plant?

Secondly, I'm now obsessed with roses. I don't know why. But I'm going to try my hand at growing some miniatures, especially since this isn't a permanant home, and that way I can take them with me when we leave. But I'd also like to try 'propagating' some cuttings. My mom has an old white/pale pink rose growing at the far back of her property, it's been there since before we moved in. As I've been reading, spring is prime time to take cuttings for this, and I'd like to know if anyone's done this - as it stands, there are about umpteen million methods I've read about, but I don't know which one to use. I MAY just take a whole slew of cuttings (This bush is huge, it won't be a problem.) and try 2 or 3 for each method. I think that would be a good experiment.

Thanks everyone! In the mean time, I have to go shovel out a bit of snow so my poor little dog can pee comfortably. I'm really sick of winter.

2. # ADS

I got the fever too! I have mostly grown things indoors so I am new to outdoor gardening, but I am hoping to plant some flowers; pumpkins, potatoes, peppers and tomatoes; and some herbs (I especially like lavender, rosemary, and basil).

It's going to be a big ol experiment this spring but I can't wait. BAH to the snow!!

I too want this snow to be GONE. I don't have any land of my own, but my aunt lives about two miles away and she's got 4 acres and she said I can plant some stuff on her land if I want. I'm excited!

Does anybody else LOVE looking at seed and bulb catalogs? I have been captivated by them since I was a little kid.

I hope this year I can follow through on the garden...I want a farm and I need all the practice I can get!

Oh My Gosh...I love flipping through bulb catalogs. My favorite is Gilbert H. Wild.
    I do actually have some land to call my own, bought a house last May; but didn't really have time to plant anything. I built a small flowerbed and transplanted several daylilies and hosta from my previous residence; but it is looking pretty empty.
    I have grand landscaping plans; but don't have the financial backing to do most of them. For now, I'll be satisfied just to get my hands dirty and plant some new things. One can only have so many indoor plants.

Oh, it's my fantasty hobby. It's the only other small hobby I have. I went to the nursery today and bought two plants. We had really gorgeous weather today so I ran out to play in the dirt and sun. Ah! It felt good. Tomorrow they say rain, so poo.

Eee! I love looking through bulb catalogs - I always have. I remember cutting out the bright pictures of tulips when I was a kid. I guess that's it - there's so much color in them!

Daylillies are by far my favorite flower. They grow like weeds along the sides of roads here, and yet they've got such a wonderful, orange color! We've got little beds around our front porch that I might put some day lillies in.

*sigh*

I'm thinking about trying to get some close friends together to do a community garden in someone's backyard (okay, i have the backyard of a specific person in mind, as she is the only person i know with a backyard, as we are all college-age, and the whole thing hinges on her agreeing to participate...but she is pretty awesome and i think she will say yes)...I too am getting the gardening bug!

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleDragon
    Daylillies are by far my favorite flower. They grow like weeds along the sides of roads here, and yet they've got such a wonderful, orange color! We've got little beds around our front porch that I might put some day lillies in.
    I love daylilies too. Did you know you can eat them? They are good in salad. Roses are too, by the by. Roses are also ::really:: good on dessert...the darker they are, the sweeter they taste. But anyways, daylilies...the new Martha Stewart has a cool guide to daylilies you might want to check out. It has info on variaties, planting, etc...that might get you inspired. I never realized they came in so many shades other than orange!

Be careful eating any flowers! Make sure they are organic - most roses arent, since most of them require a heavy pesticide/fungicide routine to keep certain nasties off. And never eat something from beside a road - I can just imagine plants absorbing those icky emissions.

You're right, though - roses are deliciously sweet, if you find some that aren't covered in chemicals - I think the bush in my mum's backyard is... especially since we never touch it, and it's next to my neighbor's vegetable garden, and I can't imagine him spraying the rose with chemicals and risking getting them on his veggies.

That would be very awesome if you could get a little garden going - make sure to check with any landlords first. Ours is really cool, he says "Do what you want" and even let us have a dog, so we're very lucky. I'll have to check out Martha's site about the day lillies - I know there are other colors, but orange is definately my favorite color in the whole world! *grin*

~Bubbles

Ah, my favorite craft! This year I am planning to add some circles and spirals to my garden beds. I have a circular herb garden with a table and chair in the middle for sitting and writing. I'm going to join 2 raised beds into one circular bed for veggies. My imagination just flies and it is so good for my spirit, as a single mom, special ed teacher and credential student. I need to garden!

I'm also making a garden goddess to protect the space. Her body is the pole that fastened a gross satellie dish to the ground. I removed the dish but couldn't take the pole out of the ground, so I filled it with soil and planted scarlet runner beans in the top -- the vines will be her hair, and I'll paint a face on the pole. Fun!

Laurie

My SO and I have been talking about starting a garden this spring. I wanted one badly, but so far I've only had bad experiences with plants- I've killed them all. Accidentally, of course, but I REALLY tried to take care of them. Maybe between the two of us it will be ok. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads