Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Macs are out of the question, as our PC is just a couple of years old. We're running XP.

It does look like you need to try a combination of lots of things. I don't know why Skybot isn't working. I can tell it isn't destroying, although I can see what it has searched. I swear it seems to be getting worse.

I'm intrigued by Firefox. I just saw a link somewhere and in an ad - and an article in USA Today:

Signs your PC's under siege, and what you can do
    By Byron Acohido and Jon Swartz, USA TODAY

If your Windows PC is being used as a zombie, you may notice recurring slowdowns of e-mail and Web browsing. Or you may not be able to e-mail or browse at all. If your PC has been infected with a self-replicating network worm, a dormant backdoor Trojan horse or several other types of stealthy programs, you may not notice anything.

Always use a personal firewall with a PC connected to a cable modem, DSL or wireless Internet service. Free ones are listed at www.free-firewall.org. Tip: Have the personal firewall set to at least the medium level of security.

Buy anti-virus software, such as Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan or ZoneLabs Security Suite, and keep the subscription current. Set it to automatically check for updates. Tip: New PCs typically come with a free trial subscription from Norton or McAfee. However, you must subscribe after the trial period expires to continue getting updates.

Enable Microsoft Windows Auto-Update to automatically download the latest security patches. Tip: Follow instructions to make sure downloaded patches are also automatically installed.

No software vendor will ever send you patches via e-mail. If you get e-mail pretending to be a patch from Microsoft or any other vendor, delete it. Distrust all attachments. If you have even the slightest doubt, delete it without reading.

Back up all of your important documents and folders at least once a month, more often if you can stand it. Use complex passwords and periodically change passwords and PINs.

Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Mozilla Firefox browser. If you must use Internet Explorer (IE), set the security settings to high; this will disable multimedia features of many Web sites, but also will block a main path intruders use to plant Web contagions. Tip: To set IE security to high, navigate to Tools, Internet options, Security settings.

Install, use and regularly update Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy anti-spyware programs. Both are free for the downloading. Tip: Be extremely wary of counterfeit versions of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, spelled slightly different; those are actually spyware.

Consider switching to a non-IE browser, such as Mozilla's Firefox.

The strange thing about spyware and pop-ups is the same thing as spam and telemarketing. I find it so hard to believe that anyone clicks on these and buys anything ---- because they're such a nuisance. I keep getting ones from Monster and Travelocity. (I guess one of us is looking for a job and we both travel?) But I refuse to even patronise these companies, because I resent this intrusion so much!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by cackalackie
    I'm intrigued by Firefox. I just saw a link somewhere and in an ad - and an article in USA Today.
    I cannot praise Firefox enough - its free and stops pop-ups 99% of the time. My university even uses it as the default browser on all its computers.

On top of that though, it's just a better browser than IE - I love the tabs and all the customizations you can make.

I actually do tech support, and there are some things that we tell people to use to remove spyware.

CWShredder, which you can get from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

HSRemove, which you can get from here: http://www.hsremove.com/

I've used HSRemove, I've never actually used CWShredder, but I've heard it's good. HSRemove does take over your homepage when it's done, so make sure to remember what it is. :)

And yes, I'm quite the advocate of Firefox as well.. you shouldn't have too many issues once you start using that.

You can also (if you're on XP, which I think you said you are) go to msconfig. Click Start, go to Run, type in msconfig. Go to the Services tab, check "hide all Microsoft services" and uncheck anything that sounds like spyware. Do the same thing for the Startup tab - you may have to google some file names and such. That will at least get them disabled so they don't cause popups or whatever.

Hope this was helpful!

[/url]

Strange, I just started using Firefox and ads started popping up for the very first time for me. I was using Netscape 7.1 before (I'm on Mac OSX) and never happened there. What I do love about Firefox is the tabbed browsing. Safari and Netscape have it too but with Firefox's 3rd party extensions, it's much better.

Cackalackie, in your posts you mention using a product called Skybot. You may want to double check, and if that is the correct name, download Spybot instead. They are in fact two different programs.

I'm pretty sure it's Spybot and I just erred in posting. But wouldn't that be so funny, if I'd mistakenly downloaded the wrong thing.................Sheesh!

And yesterday I just noticed that there is a new version of Ad-Aware, you can get it at Download.com, the Ad-Aware website will redirect you there anyway.

Hello!

I just reinstalled Windows

My father can often download something incomprehensible on the Internet and easily run a virus on his PC. Once a month I order a service on the site https://bestpctips.com/uninstall/how...me-free-guide/ and I order configuration and virus cleaning from them. They also have interesting articles that are useful and will help you solve your problem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads