Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to get rid of Spyware

We have always been so careful not to get any spyware on our PC at home. But around Christmas (I think when my husband was doing more surfing than usual, and trying out different sites he was reading about), we became infected. We have so many annoying pop-ups now AND our machine is so slow.

I've tried Skybot Search and Destroy. It searched and found - but didn't destroy. I installed Spyware Guard - which is supposed to prevent any new ones. But I need to get rid of what's there. Does anyone have any advice for me??? Thanks.

2. # ADS

This won't be of help to you but for those using spybot, I found this on another board:

Apparently, Spybot has 4 spyware programs checked to ignore by default. These four programs are:

LSP.New.Net
    MySearch
    New.Net
    SideStep

You can uncheck them in the advanced mode of Spybot.
    Go to Mode then select Advanced. Then in the Settings tab go to Ignore Products, then All Products and search for the four above mentioned spyware programs and UNCHECK them.

Be warned, everytime you update Spybot, these items will be checked by default. So you will have to uncheck them everytime you update!

download.com has quite a few removal programs for free. I've used Lavasoft's Ad-aware for a couple of years and it works for me, though I've never had spyware installed (as far as I know!)

Quote Originally Posted by tigrrrl
    download.com has quite a few removal programs for free. I've used Lavasoft's Ad-aware for a couple of years and it works for me, though I've never had spyware installed (as far as I know!)
    Yeah, download.com has a ton of spyware removers, I use the already mentioned Lavasoft and Spybot. I also use firefox as a browser for most applications - I almost never have spyware now.

Ad-Aware is good, but it's not going to solve all your problems.

the best thing i've ever done to avoid spyware is start using a Mac.

You can download CounterSpy. They have a fully functional 15 day trial. I use it at work and it works great for me. It catches things that adaware and Spybot don't.

* Stop using Internet Explorer. It sucks, it has millions of security holes, and it's awful. Keep it on your machine just in case a website won't load w/o it. But most will.
    Get Firefox instead. It's much better.

*Run adaware AND spybot. You have to run both in order to catch everything.

*Make sure you have a virus program that works. McGaffee isn't very good. I'd go with Norton if you can afford it.

my first and immediate response:

get a mac.

you don't even have to worry about all the spyware crap. there are lots and lots of programs that the average computer user needs available for macs, plus you'll almost never fall prey to viruses. OH! and the Mac mini can get you hooked up for only $499, when you use the monitor, keyboard, and mouse you already own.

just a thought.

Ugh...macs are AWFUL. Anyways, about the virus thing, you can get a copy of Symantec antivirus for FREE (legally) Update it every month or so, or more if you're on a network, I use Ad-aware for spyware which seems to work great for everything, since I run it every week. I'm not all that savvy with my computer except photoshop and stuff but my boyfriend does networking so he's always using a computer and is in-the-know about all that--or at least he should be since that's all he does, read computer stuff online. So I trust him about all of that.

I'm running linux now, so no worries for me, mostly.

But under XP on my laptop, I use Firefox (make sure everyone upgrades to 1.0.1), and AVG antivirus. I use adaware when I think I have a problem, though I haven't in a while.

To actually get rid of something, like mentioned above, use a combination of antivirus (They seem to be picking up spyware, now...) and Spybot/Adaware. That all usually knocks it out.

Good luck - spyware is such a mess, anymore. I'm a CS major, and I generally have problems getting rid of the nastier ones.

~bubbles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads