View Poll Results: ipod mini - buy or not?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • buy

22 64.71%
  • not

12 35.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

to buy or not to buy - ipods

Hello my trusted glitterati,
    just wanted to know whether any of you had had particularly good or bad experiences with the ipod or the ipod mini, and whether or not you would recommend buying one or not? I've read some reviews and some people have whinged about the battery life and said that they're too easy to break etc and so on.
    I'm very interested in buying an ipod mini (pink! I'm so pathetic) so any information related specifically to ipod mini would be muchly appreciated.
    Judging from other forums in which people have lovingly made special cases for their own ipods I'm assuming most of you have had mainly positive experiences with their ipods?
    Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS

I have one-- PINK! and I love it. I've also read that the latest versions have longer battery life-- something like 18 hours-- so that will be less of a problem for you if you get a new one. I had a big one-- 15 gigs-- and think that the mini is much better designed, holds the amount of music I actually need, and seems sturdier...

My best friend almost has me convinced that if I want an MP3 player I can get so much more for less money with another brand (he likes Rio). I'm still on the fence though.

I've got to say that I really love my iPod. (I have the big one, but I think a mini would do. I haven't come anywhere close to using up the memory.) It's a huge clutter-buster, now that I can pack up all my CDs and put them in storage. I have a tape deck in my car, so I just got one of those tape adapters and now I can listen to anything I want whenever I drive. And instead of a stereo, I just plug it into my speakers.

Also, not that I would ever, ever advocate doing something illegal, but it makes it really easy to borrow CDs from your friends (or the public library: who knew my library had such a good CD collection?), load them onto your iPod, and then have new, free CDs.

I feel a bit bad about it because of the rampant consumerism, but it really is a cool gizmo. I got mine as a gift and was a bit skeptical, but I'm really glad I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    My best friend almost has me convinced that if I want an MP3 player I can get so much more for less money with another brand (he likes Rio). I'm still on the fence though.
    Your friend is somewhat true and somewhat not. It all depends on what you want. If you only want to play MP3s, it doesn't matter. If you want to buy songs online, that begins to complicate things - you can only use iTunes AAC songs directly on iPods (though you can burn CDs and re-rip into MP3s for any player) and not on other players. Likewise, you can only use non-iTunes WMA songs on other players. The problem with the non-iTunes places is that they don't have the same rights for every song, so some songs you can burn to CD, some you can't, some you can transfer to a portable player, some you can't. There are also lots of different prices.

The iPod is *very* well designed. It's easy to use. You won't get a radio built in, or the ability to change color face plates. You will get faster transfer speeds (especially with firewire) and well integrated iTunes store with the same rights and prices across the board.

The iPod also works as a portable disk, which can be surprisingly useful to back up photos for example. I suppose the other ones do that too but I'm not sure.

I guess my point is that sure you can get more features with another model, but not necessarily ones you want or need. And you lose out on the beautiful scroll wheel.

I voted "buy" - but it really depends on what you're looking for in an mp3 player. I have the 20 GB version (because I was going to buy a laptop and got a very good deal on iBook + iPod, but couldn't choose the Mini) and I love it. A lot of people use the cost as an argument against the iPod, but really, most of the other mp3 players I see advertised are like less than 1 GB...so compared to most other players you get more storage space per dollar with the iPod (though that's the regular one, I don't know about the iPod Mini). However, if you are not going to use all those gigabytes, it makes more sense to buy one of those cheap 256MB non-iPod mp3 players...

I travel a lot and will live abroad for a while, so the iPod is great because it holds pretty much my entire CD collection (I haven't filled it up yet). I also use Mac (well, duh, since I just wrote that I bought an iBook...) so it's great to have an mp3 player that definitely is compatible. I love iTunes too, it's so easy to use (I guess you can use iTunes with other players as well, but the iPod is iTunes best friend). I've never downloaded music off iTunes Music Store, because it's not available where I live, but I haven't really heard anything bad about it.

The only bad thing so far about my iPod is that I have to remember to charge it, and that it uses up battery even when it's turned off (after about a week or so you have to charge it again, even if you haven't used it). And the headphones that come with it are kind of crappy, I'm going to buy proper ones.

The first thing I did when I got my iPod was replace the headphones. They're kind of crappy, and also they seem to sort of advertise that you have an iPod. Because I'm paranoid, I worried that I was going to get mugged for my iPod, but also it just kind of seemed like flaunting my cool, expensive gizmo.

I use the iTunes music store all the time. Actually, my one complaint about it is that it's threatening to bankrupt me. The selection isn't perfect, but it's pretty good and the store is super, super easy to use.

Okay, here's a stupid question but I really don't know anything about ipods & my son has been asking for one for his birthday. Can you take songs from CDs and put them on your iPod? Can you do the same thing with MP3s already downloaded on a computer? My husband was thinking that you can only download songs from iTunes to an iPod. Is that true?

i voted not to the ipod mini, because for another $50, you can go from 4gb of space to 20gb regular ipod. to me, it's more value for the money.

but it may be just me... :)

cosmosgrrrl: YES YES YES you can absolutely put CDs to your ipod, but you have to put them into iTunes (the process is called ripping), then upload them to the ipod. you can also get music into it by downloading music (legally or illegally) into your iTunes, then uploading it to the ipod.

you *can* use your ipod as a file storage device, too, ladies. after all, all it really is is a portable external hard drive with software to play mp3s.

i have an ipod, 20 gb, and it is amazing!

you might want to get (or make!) a case if you end up buying one... the face scratches really easily. that's just cosmetic of course, and i haven't had any other issues. my friend had an old one, i think the first model that came out, and she dropped it all the time and it was still working so really they seem pretty sturdy.

i agree that the headphones suck, though. they hurt my ears!

im a shelver at the library, and being able to take my cd collection with me to work has literally changed my (working) life forever...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads