the crimson curse and the mean, mean reds.

i have been suffering from depression for a long time (ever since ever, really) but have had such bad experiences with being diagnosed anti-depressants improperly that i've shunned medication from my life (unless of course, it's some kind of emergency). i also have fairly bad anxiety and i've happily learned to control much of their icky effects by way of relaxation/breathing exercises, aromatherapy, journal writing, etc. alls well in the dell, right?

not exactly. for the past year, i've had really uncontrollable depression only around a certain time of month, for about a week at the most, during the monthly dreaded bloody visitor. there are days when i can be objective and tell myself that i am only feeling badly because of my period, yet other times, i hate myself and feel suicidal and lash out at everyone i know! it's not only damaging to my relationships and my self-esteem, but it's also an embarrassment. my therapist thinks i may have PMDD.

i'm not sure if PMDD (the medical term and category) has been around that long... to me it seems like a newer development in diagnosing. i've read a bit about it, but not a lot about its treatment. so i thought i would ask if anyone here has been diagnosed with PMDD, has read any information about PMDD, or if anyone has any natural remedies for depression/anxiety just around that time of the month. i'm not sure if such remedies exist, but any hints would be helpful. i'm trying to research this and do some trial and error before i give in to taking some kind of anti-depressant. thanks in advance!!!

2. # ADS

Hi there. There's an old thread of mine with quite a similar topic. Hope it helps. Good luck and hang in there. It does get better, I promise. :)

Quote Originally Posted by felt
    Hi there. There's an old thread of mine with quite a similar topic. Hope it helps. Good luck and hang in there. It does get better, I promise. :)
    oh thank you! i figured this had probably been discussed someplace. seems like the calcium helped a lot for many people. did you try that and did it seem to help you much?

I took one of those womens vitamin supplements that's loaded with calcium and it really helped. But, I did give myself a bit of lifestyle change too. I'm quite a busy freelancer and it's easy for me to get caught up with work and push everything else aside including myself. Now I make it a point to dedicate weekends and evenings to myself, my partner and friends (drinking and eating chocolate did wonders too as someone suggested, ha). I found out that relaxation and time off are important to my well-being.. Of course everyone's different, but I'm a strong believer that most people's anxieties can be overcome with lifestyle/mindset changes. Herbs and supplements surely help a ton along the way no doubt, but they don't have lasting and satisfying effects as changing something deeper inside. :) Mind you, I'm not talking about anything drastic, simple things like not working after dinner - trying new things like that every 2-4 weeks helped me get into a new way of life bit by bit. I still have (very) bad days but not as frequently.

Sorry for babbling, oops. ;) Let me know if you have q's and keep me posted. Hope this helps, good luck dearie.

Remove Ads

Ads