Thread: Build a home?

Build a home?

Has anyone here worked with a builder to build a new home? Any advice?

We are in the process of getting the mortgage preapproved so we know what our limit is when picking out house plans and options. The first time through the model we liked I didn't pick up on the fact that all the features I liked were "options" off the base price. Now I know. *gulp!*

The floor plan I am hoping to get has the room that would be my studio on the main floor down its own hallway past the powder room. It has what I call a "secret stairway" straight up to the Master Bedroom. Maybe that will inspire me to get straight out of bed and down the stairs to work! (what's funny is that the model featured the room as a workout room. LOL...right)

Of course, the downside of a new home is that we have to prepare to move and sell our present home. :(

2. # ADS

Re: Build a home?

Quote Originally Posted by PamTheQueen
    Any advice?
    Run. Run and don't look back. Just kidding, sort of. This is going to be a long post, sorry.

A couple of years ago my husband and I decided to build a home. We did one of those deals where you go into a neighborhood, pick your lot, pick your floor plan (they have a ton to choose from) and pick you colors. A friend of ours had done this the year before in a different neighborhood and recommended their builder. We picked out lot (lot #3) and got the construction loan. There wasn't much grading to be done to our land so we went to decide on the spot for the house. Turns out lot #3, the one we bought was not the lot we thought we bought. We thought we bought lot #2. Things weren't marked properly and I guess the builder never checked it. Turns out that lot #3 had a gigantic gulley running smack through the middle of the lot. The house was going to be crunched at the very front of the lost and we'd have no backyard because our backyard was on the other side of this huge gulley. You'd have to climb down the gulley and up the other side to get to the rest of our backyard. We through a fit, threatened to walk, consulted a lawyer, everything we could think of, beg the guy that worked for the county to revoke the permits. We basically were screwed. We sucked it up and finished building the house and got the final mortgage on the house. The grader "filled in the gulley" He said he was going to fill it with dirt, but what he really did, even though he said he wasn't going to do it was knocked down a bunch of trees to fill in the gulley and put dirt on top of it. After a while those trees decay and the lot started to sink again. My husband and I ended up filing bankruptcy to get out from underneath the house that was sinking. I guess what I want to say is check, double check and check everything again. There were other ways that this guy (the recommended builder) screwed us. Get independant appraisers and inspectors. We used an in house appraiser and once we signed the paperwork our house was worth $30,000 less than what we paid and what he appraised it at a few months before. Also get an independant inspector, this will cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but once you sign your name (this may vary state to state, I don't know) there isn't anything you can do. An independant inspector will find things that in house inspectors won't. My uncle used one and he found a lot of things about his house that needed to be fixed before he bought the house that the inspector for the mortgage company did not find. What ever time frame they give you to build the house, double it. We were supposed to be in by Thanksgiving, we moved in in April of the next year, some thing happened to my friends and my uncle.

re: home building advice

Hi Pam. My husband and I recently built a home and it does have its pros and cons. The biggest piece of advice I could give you is to GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!! I cannot stress this enough; even if you think it is a minor detail, better to be safe than sorry. Our builder cut all the trees off our lot without telling us, even though they told us the trees would stay. We didn't have it in writing and are now SOL.

If you do decide to build, and get all the decisions in writing, when you go for your final walkthrough, if the house is not complete or there are "minor" things that need to be completed, DO NOT CLOSE on the house until it is complete. That was the second mistake we made. Our house had a huge hole in the wall where they had to replace some wiring; the landscaping wasn't finished; there were patches of drywall that looked like crap; and there was so much dust and debris in our house on our final walkthrough that I couldn't believe they would call it "finished." But we felt like there was nothing we could do, so we closed, and it took almost 6 months for them to get everything finished. To this day we are still dealing with stuff that should have been finished before we took ownership.

Just today even, the builder is grading the lot next to ours and just pushed over a portion of our retaining wall and is telling us that they have to take the whole wall down, even though it's on our property. Luckily, we did manage to get the retaining wall written in our contract (that it's on our property and belongs to us), so we have some leverage against them.

We chalk it up to experience and it being our first home purchase, but hopefully others can learn from our mistakes. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck with your decision!!

Re: re: home building advice

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithmud
    If you do decide to build, and get all the decisions in writing, when you go for your final walkthrough, if the house is not complete or there are "minor" things that need to be completed, DO NOT CLOSE on the house until it is complete. That was the second mistake we made. Our house had a huge hole in the wall where they had to replace some wiring; the landscaping wasn't finished; there were patches of drywall that looked like crap; and there was so much dust and debris in our house on our final walkthrough that I couldn't believe they would call it "finished." But we felt like there was nothing we could do, so we closed, and it took almost 6 months for them to get everything finished. To this day we are still dealing with stuff that should have been finished before we took ownership.
    That almost happened to us. We bought the house package with appliances. During the building of our house the house was broken into and the appliances were stolen. The builder said he would replace them before we closed. The day before closing the appliances weren't in so called. He told me he couldn't get appliances until the next week, I told him that we would close next week then. Actually we couldn't because the construction loan was due the day we were scheduled to close so we had to close that day. I finally let out all of the frustration and ripped the guy a new a'hole, (it felt so good to get it all out). I refused to close until they were in, I knew deep down that if we closed he would say that we had already closed and we were SOL. He called my husband at work and told my husband how I hurt his feelings (he's lucky that's all I hurt), but the appliances were in the next morning and we closed that afternoon.

re: home building advice

amanelle - LOL at that guy calling your husband. Good for you for standing your ground (and getting it off your chest) - I swear I could take a few swings if I had the chance, and I'm really a very passive person. These builders can bring out the worst in people. I'm glad to hear you got your appliances though - that would have been a nightmare!

Re: Build a home?

Quote Originally Posted by PamTheQueen
    Has anyone here worked with a builder to build a new home? Any advice?
    I strongly recommend checking out a forum at That Home Site called "Building a Home". Some of the people have scary large budgets and sometimes the conversation gets heated and stupid, but don't let that keep you away. You will see any and every issue hashed out on those forums and a lot of solid information:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/build/

In which city you want to build a new home? According to location designs of homes are different. Some home designs are here Home Decor - Fashion Style Trends 2014

the city is really one of the most important things to consider...

Oh, I don’t even know how to say it, but I am doing repairs in the house and I need your help in repairing the kitchen, what needs to be changed?

Remove Ads

Ads