le tigre signs to a major label?!!

maybe i'm being close-minded here but this bummed me out. letigre is signing to universal and i am sad. call me crazy but it is hard to be a radical political band and sign to a major label.
    i agree with the "you have to expand your demographic and not just preach to the choir" stuff but maybe that's the argument people use because eventually everyone does the same damn thing. everyone ends up "selling out" and that's the standard and "easy" excuse. it'snotlike they were super-obscure before they signed either.
    ormaybe i'm just sad cos it's going to be harder to get them for ladyfest...
    let's discuss.

2. # ADS

I've had some serious mixed feelings on this one, too. I guess it's a matter of how much you trust them not to be tempted to "sell out" or whatever.

I remember Mirah once said that if she had more money/sold more records, she'd use the money so she could have an orchestra to go with her songs. Maybe Le Tigre has that same kind of, "If we have more money, we can do more things with our music, as well as more money to promote it."

My sister would have never heard of Le Tigre, but she goes clubbing and heard my playing it in my room and thought it had a good beat.
    The thing is people who listen to Le Tigre as "mainstream", most of them won't be converted to feminism or queer-friendly or anything like that. That's a lofty goal to have because so few people change their minds just because of music. If someone likes Le Tigre, it's another case of "preaching to the choir," which is unavoidable.

But Kathleen Hanna has always wanted to be political in her music, so that's her thing. I just don't see how going mainstream will work. But I'll still listen. It can't hurt. Not yet.

ETA: I don't mean that art can't change the minds of people, but it really is rare for pop music to make people see the error of their ways, especially in such a conservative time right now. This is all assuming Le Tigre could become somewhat more mainstream.

Ugh, I know it can be painful when an indie band signs to a major label...but with Le Tigre, I have a hard time EVER imagining their music becoming MTV-style mainstream, at least if it's consistent with what they've previously put out. But if it does, I honestly see really optimistic things. In this conservative climate that has been so brutal to GLTB people lately, I'd totally welcome Le Tigre's mainstream success.

The only thing that worries me is that they may become less political by influence of the label...but then I have a hard time imagining that as well. I wish 'em loads of luck. :)

Their Bands Against Bush tour last year was so much fun.

i also worry that a major label will get them to compremise their ideals and they will end up having to endorse coors lite cos someone wrote it into their contract. i'm exaggerating here but you get the point.
    i agree that it is always great to get the message out to more people but is "mainstreaming" the only way period or is it the only way people are willing to see or do?
    and are we more forgiving of women and others with alternative lifestyles signing to major labels because they are breaking into a more traditional (straight, white, middle class male) arena?
    i just don't want to see their message getting watered down for mainstream consumption. it already happened to the riot grrrls.

Well, even Sleater-Kinney got some mtv play (I think) or something, and they're still kicking it out.

I think Le Tigre would stop the minute they knew they were losing their real fans. If they didn't, we can just chalk them up as being failures and expect to see them regrouped or remade in a couple of years, back at their "roots" with a zine on how the mainstream media fucked them over.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

I think that if the band is able to maintain their artistic and political freedom while expanding their audience and getting their message out to more people, signing to a major label will be great. I'd like to think Le Tigre are smart enough to know that they risk alienating their current fan-base if they water down their politics and get overly commercial.

If they do end up totally selling out and abandoning their ideology... well that will be a very sad day indeed.

Yeah, and if they make more money being awesome feminists, that's fine with me![/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by danielepea
    I think that if the band is able to maintain their artistic and political freedom while expanding their audience and getting their message out to more people, signing to a major label will be great. I'd like to think Le Tigre are smart enough to know that they risk alienating their current fan-base if they water down their politics and get overly commercial.

If they do end up totally selling out and abandoning their ideology... well that will be a very sad day indeed.
    While I always have my reservations about indie bands signing to major labels, I think you are right that it can be done. Sonic Youth, for example, have maintained artistic control despite over a decade of being on a major label.

Personally, I love the new Le Tigre album. I think the only hint that its on a major is the cover of "I'm so Excited" (because you can get the rights to those songs more easily with a major's backing).

As far as the label deal, I don't really care. They have gotten really big! They're like the mainstream of the underground rivers of music....yeah...or something.

I am much more pissed that they were on Carson Daly! That guy bugs the crap outta me! He just seem really homophobic, or like he doesn't want people to think he is gay, and I get really sick of hearing about Vegas all the time. Is this just me?

i really am not fond of carson daly at all. i didn't realize they were on his show.

they're new album is pretty cool. sounds a lot more poppy and electro-clashy. well... i've actually just heard the remix sampler. my roommate's been hogging the album itself. i gotta get my own copy.

Remove Ads

Ads