Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!

I'm attempting my first corned beef tonight, have a pack of guiness chilling in the fridge and planning on looking through my Ireland photo album.

Something about St. Patrick's day just helps me get in the Spring mood :)

2. # ADS

kiss me, i'm irish

happy st.patrick's day!

i'm not doing anything to celebrate (although i contemplated making irish soda bread), but i just wanted to extend the good wishes. you're right; st.patty's day definitely makes me believe that Spring is nearing...must be all the green everywhere :)

roxy, who is, like, 1/4 irish...

Top o the morning! Have a great St. Patrick's Day all!!

Have a great day everyone!

My special boy and I are making and delivering dinner for a friend of mine who recently had her first baby - which, I think, is a GREAT way to celebrate!

Cheers!

delqc (who has a significant % of her heritage from the emerald isle ... )

hmmm, need I say anything?

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody. :D

Mm- I don't know WHAT we're doing for St. Pat's day, even though my mom, and obviously my maternal grandma, have 100% irish heritage, and I've got a tad bit over 50%. So far, we've only made sure to wear something green. Ah well.

Slainte!

We always have Guinness in the house (check)

I have a corned beef brisket in the crock pot (check....hope it turns out)

I have a cabbage in the fridge waiting to be steamed, not cooked-to-death (check)

My kindergartner is wearing her Celtic (soccer) top to school (check)

I'm wearing my Celtic top (check)

My toddler is dressed up like a leprechaun....actually some knickers type of outfit I bought in Dublin that's green and says "Luck of the Irish" (check)

My husband - whose grandparents were all Irish (he and his parents were born in Scotland) - is probably not wearing green (humbug)

And as it's cold and yucky here today, and I can't be bothered going out tonight, I'm just glad we went downtown this past Saturday to watch the parade and take part in the festivities.

yay!

i saw the parade here on sunday, and it actually made me get teary because my mom always takes off work on st patrick's day to go to nyc to march in the big parade.

i made three loaves of irish soda bread last night to share - brought some in to the jewish non-profit i work at . and to give out to some of my friends. i'm wearing a handknit (by me) green mohair sweater, and i've got my claddagh ring on (as always) and celtic cross.

i made three loaves of irish soda bread
    Doh! (Note to self: must make soda bread next year.)

I don't own any green, but we went to Boston to participate in the festivities. The parade is on Sunday, but the bars were packed when we got in. There is a place called "The Purple Shamrock" that had a line to get in.

Of course, I understand that a lot people were just using it as an excuse to take the day off (unless you work in Boston then you may have had it off) and go drinking.

I spoke to a woman from Ireland the day before. She gave everyone in the book group daffodiles fresh from Ireland. She said that she doesn't know where the corned beef and cabbage thing came from. She can't recall ever having it on St Pat's day. She says it is a religious holiday where you break the Lenten fast and spend time with your families and Irish dance.

Interesting how the two cultures handle the day differently.

Though, I must say, if it weren't for this day, we wouldn't have eaten the best fried calamari ever, in a pub/restaurant type place called The Salty Dog. good stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads