Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

crafty airplane idea

i am going to be on a plane for 7 hours on saturday. does anyone have any good airplane crafts? i need something to keep me occupied, otherwise i think i might freak out on the plane.

are knitting needles allowed on the plane? even if they are, i don't know if i will have enough arm room to knit.

if you are reading a good book you should include that too. seven hours is a long time to sit still.

2. # ADS

On long plane rides I always enjoy things that are easy on the brain, like easy crossword and word hunt puzzles, solitaire, cheezy magazines I wouldn't otherwise buy with not too long articles, and an easy and small crochet project because room is a precious commodity. I find if I move amongst all these goodies, I don't get as restless and bored.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.getcrafty.com/viewtopic.p...080&highlight=

I just flew for a few hours this past week. I usually read a book, but found myself lost in a music-inspired daydream this last flight. It's fun & safer than losing your self in a music-inspired daydream while you drive (very typical of me).

i always used to read crappy magazines (the British edition of Cosmo is especially trashy and wonderful) and listen to music on my headphones. and sleep. fortunately i can sleep with my head resting on my balled-up jacket. wedged between the seat-back in front of me and my lunch tray.

i tried to knit a few times, but i was too uncomfortable to really get into it.

try to get up and move around when you can. i like to use the bathroom and then stand around in the area by the restrooms. on bigger planes there is usually a middle set of bathrooms by an emergency door that have a few square feet of space in which to stand up for a while.

ti
    i found you have enough room to do knitting if you use a circular needles and keep everything small. you can bring needles - i think if you do a search on getcrafty topics, you can find the other one about planes & needles but just in case, have a stamped and addressed envelope to send them home.

i basically have a bunch of magazines to look through, a squishy neck pillow to sleep with (got one at walgreens that is divine for $10) lots of books, my laptop, origami is fun, beading was a nightmare for me on a plane since i am so clumsy ...

i can't put down Fast Food nation even though i have been slammed with so much. i am also rereading Mama Day by Glorya Naylor.

BTW - try to get the exit row if possible, so much more leg room.

crochet works well too, esp. as a crochet hook is smalll and not to terribly pointy (i got a bamboo one on my last trip just to be sure they wouldn't take it). it also doesn't require a lot of arm room...

I totally went on a plane in December, I think it was either USAirways or Air Canada, I was flying to Toronto, and I wasn't allowed to take knitting needles. I buy magazines to read and always get a window sit, because time goes by quicker. Most of the time I end up reading the magazines within the first hour and end up talking to the person next to me.

Yes, knitting needles are allowed on airplanes. Some individual security workers just don't seem to be aware of that fact. To minimize hassle, it's a good idea to bring non-metal needles (plastic, wood, bamboo). Out of courtesy to your fellow passengers, it's also nice to keep the needles short and your knitting project small.

I think the Denise set is ideal for travel (but then I think it's ideal for almost everything). I've brought mine on planes with no trouble at all.

Scissors might be a bigger concern. I've had my carry-on bag rifled through when the X-ray machine detected my little knitting scissors. Seeing that they were blunt-ended, the guard let me keep them. I did once have to give up a tiny pair of folding scissors, because they are pointy.

from www.tsa.gov

Travelers & Consumers Printable Version
    Special Considerations

Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by the TSA screener. TSA Screeners have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. TSA recommends the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
    We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
    Scissors must have blunt points
    In case the screener does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
    As a precautionary measure it is recommended that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint.

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a Security Checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.

I work in security/operations dept. of a mid-sized airport and the TSA tell me knitting needles are allowed. If they confiscate them you will not get them back. they go in the trash. trust me i've thrown them out. the suggestion above about mailing them back to yourself is a good one.

Re: knitting needles, they might not always be allowed on international flights - that is, if you fly out of the US you will be allowed to bring them (according to the TSA rules that tootsiecat posted), but the airport abroad might not allow them when you fly back. EU countries, for example, don't have knitting needles on their list but they do list "sharp objects" which could definitely include knitting needles. I've been stopped for jewellery pliers, though in the end I was allowed to bring them on board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads