Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DIY wedding ideas?

DIY wedding ideas?

Hi. My partner and I just got engaged and we're a little bewildered. Neither of us ever really thought it was something we'd want to do, so we don't know where to start. We definitely want something that's non-traditional, mostly DIY and low cost, but nice. Does anyone out there have stories or suggestions they'd like to share? Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. # ADS

First of all - congrats!!

My SIL is getting married on July 24, 2004 & I just got married a year ago (yesterday!), so this is all fresh in my mind. Some of the DIY things we've done:

+ SIL is doing a cupcake tree instead of a wedding cake. She will decorate with bright, vivid silk flowers.
    http://www.cupcaketree.com/

+ My mom knows how to sew, so she's making my SIL's wedding dress and my matron of honor dress. For my wedding, she made my SIL's dress (she was my maid of honor) and my daughter's little dress. My mom also did all of the flowers & decorations (we had a decorated arch) - she used to be a florist.

+ I designed the wedding & bridal shower invitations (I am in the process of starting up a business making custom announcements) and we printed them off on the computer.

+ For our wedding favors, we wrapped up scented votive candles in tulle, then attached a business card that read "This candle is a sign of our love and appreciation for brightening our day and warming our hearts." Those were really, really cheap! My SIL is wanting to do lollipops & those should be pretty easy as well.

+ We got married at a lake (so is my SIL), so we didn't do a lot of decorating. My SIL is going to put Tiki torches up around the lake and maybe even floating candles (which can be homemade or bought). The reception will be at my ILs home around their pool, so they are planning on using the floating candles in there as well.

+ Instead of a traditional guestbook, my SIL is getting a picture of the two of them matted & framed, then having the guests sign the mat.

I'm sure that sites like weddingchannel.com & theknot.com have tons and tons of tips! Good luck, congratulations, & happy wedding planning!!
    tiara likes this.

Two things I can think of immediately at the end of this long day are:

1: Freshroses.com - I ordered my wedding flowers from them and was so pleased, I ordered the flowers for my parents-in-law's 40th wedding anniversary party, too. Excellent quality, excellent prices for DIY flowers. :)

2: Check out the website Going Bridal. :)

More will follow, I promise. :)

Speaking of flowers, I got 200 long stemmed red roses from Sam's delivered to my house the day before the wedding for $113.00. Seriously. I wasn't even going to have any flowers but 200 was MORE than enough for my entire wedding party, centerpieces, my bouquet, boutinneers (sp?) and corsages. I highly recommend them. Also, the votive candle and lollipops are a great idea. Our wedding was on Nov. 1st, so being the day after halloween, we had a 6ft long candy table filled with baskets and piled high with different candy for guests to take home in little bags. It was a hit! Sam's also had 2 foot long Pixie Sticks! How cool is that!?! I don't know if any of these things will apply to what you are looking for, but I wish you lots of luck with the planning. I do recommend hiring a professional or having a friend give you a massage the day before. It helped me beyond measure.

Getting married on July 3rd! Egads!

DIY aspects:

Save the dates: designed and printed at home

Invites: designed and assembled by me, printed fir free by mom's friend who is a printer

Dress: made by my mom

Favors: fishing flies tied by friends and fiance

Centerpieces: designed and put together by me

CeremonY: written by us, performed by my dad and uncle

Music: for ceremony, cousin playing cello.

Rehearsal dinner: at our house, with bbq

I recommend Indiebride, but their forums are down right now (note to self: remain calm)

We will probably doing a Krispy Kreme tree... turn some terracotta pots upside down. take some plywood circles and stack them between the pots... voila... a tiered platform for the donuts. which at 60 cents versus $4 a slice is a big savings.

also checkout http://indiebride.com

My cousin just got married, and she made her placecards. The women's were the name with a hand beaded flower attached, and the men's were the name and a little black bow tie. They were really neat.

I have seen at Wal Mart, nice favor boxes, for a lot cheaper than at bridal stores!

Some good ideas to copy are also on Martha Stewart's website, and the wedding magazines are great too.

Thanks for all of your responses. You're all so helpful! There are some really great ideas and links here.

A few of my friends burned mix CDs and either sent them out with their save-the-date cards or gave them as favors. They're inexpensive, but also really special, and every time I listen to them I think of their wedding.

Have you set a date yet? Or are you thinking of any kind of theme? That really opens up some possiblities.

DH and I were married on Halloween. (in the afternoon) It worked out really cool for us, cause #1 nobody wanted that date so I had an easy time with rentals and such, and #2 DH has no reason to forget our anniversary, LOL.

Anyway, just having it on Halloween opened up some real obvious DIY theme fun stuff. We aren't "gothic", and everyone we knew had kids (and we had a son by that point too), so we just had fun with it. Did the cupcake-cake with candies covering the tops. Made goodie bags for everyone courtesy of Oriental Trading Company, home of real cheap junk. I made the flower girl dress (Disney's "Belle", it was way cute) and the ring bearer's outfit (a firefighter). We did go traditional on our clothes and the rest of the wedding party, although it was a fairly casual wedding. I only had two bridesmaids and thankfully both were like a size 10, so I was able to find two nice dresses at a Macy's outlet for very cheap. Since I sew, I bought a marked-down dress ($200 and beautiful, but it was missing the butt-bow, like I wanted one!) and did some work on it myself, changed it a bit, I couldn't have made it myself for $200. We had a friend with an extensive stereo system, who did our sound- I recorded it all and he just had to hit the play button, but he had all the equipment.

The only thing we really blew cash on was the flowers, I have a thing for flowers, plus I have no skill with doing them myself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads