Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Promoting Your Crafts

What have you been doing to promote your crafts? What works best for you? Do you sell at craft shows, home parties, or online, or other? In your opinion, what is the most cost-effective way to promote your business?

www.madepersonal.com

2. # ADS

Hi!

I think the best is trading links with other indie websites... I also had fun bumper stickers made at www.makestickers.com - its easy and it gives all those people in traffic something to read :)

I'm also planning on doing a hip, craft bizarre sometime this summer with other indie designers (you could probably do something like that in your area).

i'm having a lot of trouble promoting my site. i try to use LJ but it seems most LJ people (or the communities i use) don't believe in buying handmade crafts but for the smallest price, much less than the labor and sometimes even less than the materials. it's really disheartening to me. i haven't really accumulated enough money to advertise via magazines. venus zine really hounded after me to advertise with them, which i was appreciative of. they took an active interest in my site and even offered me a discount but i still could not afford it. if you have the money, i recommend advertising with venus zine or bust or bitch... there are numerous magazines that offer advertising for more diy companies.

Here's some stuff you can do for free:

Exchange links with people.

List your site in directories such as: http://dmoz.org

Optimize your website for the search engines. This helps you be listed on a Google or Yahoo toward the top. Some of the ways to start is to find a keyword or keyphrase that describes your product the best. Then you name your page that, and put your keywords all over your page(in appropriate places). This doesn't even scratch the surface. There's a forum that talks about this: http://forums.seochat.com

i've noticed people selling a few really cute items a week/month on ebay, and putting a link to their online store on their auctions.

I wouldn't chance putting your link on your eBay auctions, though... eBay actually doesn't allow it, so there's the chance they can shut your auction down. A sneaky way to get around that, however, is to make your username your url. My eBay name is titancia, but I'm thinking of changing it to titancia.net. (or sometimes I think you have to type it titancia*net)

eep! i didn't realize that. apologies for my bad advice!

Is anyone having any luck selling on ebay? I tried it once but got nowhere.

i haven't sold any stuff i've made on their yet. but i have sold some other stuff. it seems like the more keywords you have in your title, the better. and i tend to start my auctions low.

i think some folks on ebay publicize their auctions. because their auctions - which are nice - go for crazy amounts, but a similar product doesn't even sell.

Before I had my own website, I tried selling handmade things on ebay through regular auctions (not the stores). It never panned out for me. People are picky and many times, I don't think they respect the "handmade" items.

I have been a member of ebay probably for 6+ years now, it has changed considerably. At first it was the hottest thing and people were amazed at what they could find and buy; but now, I think people are very leary because they hear so many horror stories about others being taken advantage of...and ebay doesn't take sides, so you are screwed if somebody doesn't pay up.

As for regular advertising, I would highly suggest many of the things posted throughout this forum. Contact your local newspapers, I did and actually got an interview with the Fashion Editor. Also try your local university paper, and if the university allows flyers...print and post some.
    Also make sure that you trade links with other "crafters", I was amazed at the hits that I was getting through these sort of referrals.

Good Luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads