Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cat question

cat question

my cat is OBSESSED with chewing wool, cashmere, and hair (specifically mine). his name is karate, and hes literally eaten the shirt off my back... chewed the sweater i was wearing while i was sleeping.

sometimes i think hes just a neurotic nutball... but ive heard that cats do this because it feels like they are suckling their mommies... does anybody elses's baby do this? do you know why?

thanks!
    -eli.xoxo

2. # ADS

I had a cat that chewed my hair while I was sleeping. She did it right after I got her as a kitten, but it didn't continue very long. It was scary, however, to wake up to that smacking noise above my head.

northeast iowa/portland, or/BROOKLYN, Baby!
    my adult cats still do this, i'm not sure why... they don't do it to the point of chewing holes, but i often find them curled up with a sweater they've drug out of the laundry bin, "grooming" it..

i had a friend who woke up with extremely short bangs because her cat did this to her. luckily, most of my cats have refrained from grooming me too much. i did have a boy kitty that liked to hump a stuffed moose i had. (and i didn't have the heart to tell my SIL this when she was getting all huggy with the thing... teehee)

what i'm wondering is if anyone knows a term for the pawing motion that they tend to do when they're all blissed out and purring, like what they do when they're little sucklings, but continue throughout life.... mine have always done this on old afghans. i've only heard a chinese term "mieceing" (excuse the butchered spelling, i'm only going phonetically...)

Sarabell, that pawing motion is called kneading. Or so it's called anywhere I've seen it, and it's what I've always called it.

Elixirbeth, they do it for several reasons, but mostly because they find comfort in it. To protect your hair, and your sweaters, you should get your cat a chewable toy, preferably wool. A felted/needlefelted wool toy mouse/something would be perfect. Just, whenever he starts to chew/suck on your sweater, or something else wool, give him his toy instead.

Hope I helped some! :D

thanks, kenzie! we had a little toy for him... it was a white furball we called his "lovie". i, unfortunately, took it to obsessive levels and started treating it like the BUSY BEE in Best in Show. "WHERE IS KARATE'S LOVIE!???? THATS NOT HIS FUCKING LOVIE! THAT IS A WHITE MOUSE MADE OF SYNTHETIC FUR! I NEED THE LOVIE, DAMMIT!!".

anyways, now we know why my poor kitty is a basketcase.

ps. i call the kneading motion "makin biscuits".

-- eli.xoxo

Haha, I'm like that with this odd triangle-ish grey mouse with a suede-y pink tail that Mr. Manlyman ABSOLUTELY loves. My sisters aren't allowed to TOUCH it when Mr. Manlyman moves it somewhere for safe keeping, no matter where it is.

Basketcase kitties are the best kind, though. <3

Quote Originally Posted by elixirbeth
    ps. i call the kneading motion "makin biscuits".
    We call it the purry dance. "I can't get up! Fizzgig is purry dancing on me!" It's also cute when their paws aren't touching anything and they do the purry dance in the air.

Blanche likes to sleep on my pillow and often licks or chews my hair. I appreciate the affection, but it's just not acceptable when I'm trying to sleep. I think I'll try making her a nice wool toy - she's been feeling kinda sickly and had to go to the doctor today for her chronic tooth problems; a knitted catnip thing might cheer her up.

My in-laws' cat once chewed off a chunk of my hair while he was sitting behind me on the back of their couch. I thought he was just licking me until I got home and found part of my bangs about an inch long.

Thats so cute! You have a cat named Fizzgig! My fiance named his dog Widgit but Fizzgig was 2nd runner up. Widgit is a teeny widdle yorkie.

-- eli.xoxo

my sister's cat is a nurser. it just comes up now and then with cats. sometimes when they were separated from their mothers too soon they nurse on things, but my sister's cat is just weird. he only nurses on objects made out of plaid flannel, so you have to watch your PJs around him or they end up with spitty spots on them. it's gross, but it's just his kick. there's no good way to stop them, since they do it to release endorphins.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads