Postal Junk Mail

Hey everyone,

We just bought a house (the renovations on which have seriously cut into my craftin' time!) and we started getting barraged with a massive quantity of postal junk mail. No matter where you live -- whether you own or rent -- you have to be wary of identity theft...one way perpetrators steal your identity is by taking your junk mail from your trash and applying for all those credit card offers that you receive.

You can seriously cut the amount of those offers (plus all those store flyers, and all that other junk) by contacting a few agencies. There are some unscrupulous companies out there who charge you to get you removed from all of the junk mailing lists, but it's free to do it all yourself. So, I've listed everything and provided forms in one cohesive place on my website to make it easier for people to stop the junk mail:

http://www.ottseetotsee.com/stopjunk.html

I also provided links so that you can encourage your congressperson to start thinking about the amount of waste junk mail generates.

Hope this helps you out!
    Chrissy

2. # ADS

i'll have to tell my dad about this. junk mail makes him crazy. he has a huge box of junk mail that he uses in the fireplace in winter. our house has no central heat so we make fires a lot but the box somehow never gets emptied. weird.

ottseetotsee...your page looks very helpful, but I can't help be a little suspicious as to why I need to supply my social security number to stop the pre-approved credit card and insurance offers. Can you tlel me more?

Patty

There is a national "Do Not Mail" list just like the "do not call" list. I send out "junk mail" (I call it "marketing materials" =-)) to try and solidify my brand into people's minds, and I cannot access addresses on the "do not mail" list. Let me re-phrase, the database I use will not allow me to export addresses that are on the list. I might find 250 that are what I want, yet when I try to export them to my desktop, I will get maybe 235.

So there you have it. Find out where this list begins (I'd go to someplace with a .gov behind it) and get yourself on it. You shouldn't have to put in more than your name and address, no SocSec#, no personal info at all...... just like the "do Not Call" list.....

I am getting sick of junk mail too! Thanks for posting this info and making an effort.

Here is another place that offers tips to stop getting so much junk. I have not used this yet, so I can't recommend it, but here it is:

http://www.newdream.org/junkmail/index.php

I just filled out that opt-out form, not even thinking about the social security ordeal. The junk mail overload must have got the better of me. I hope it's a legit site. I am normally really weary about that stuff.
    I could just kick myself.

yeah. junk mail sucks and must be destroyed. but look at it from this standpoint; it keeps printers working! if it weren't for junkmail, people like my dad (a self-employed printer) would be out on their ass and i would have been one hungry, naked kid! (of course, he could have gotten another job. but still!)

People have thanked me for sending them "junk" -- like my "turn your clock back" reminder cards that people should have gotten yesterday..... Yea, it has my logo on it, but it still serves a purpose, right? And Sunday morning they will throw it away... I got my 28 cents worth of ad time, right in their hands! Honestly, if you were trying to run a sucessful business, are you saying you wouldn't do direct mailings?

see, i wish kmk had sent me one of those cards...is it really time to change the clocks?

I don't mind getting certain mailings. Like a nearby non-chain workout place is having a signup special, so they mailed out a postcard. It's close to home, and the postcard is small and in general pretty innocent.

On the other hand, I hate receiving the Val-Pak envelopes which are stuffed full of carpet cleaning and tire rotation coupons. So much wasted paper, and I especially dislike that it's such a big envelope addressed to "Resident."

I wouldn't mind receiving local mailings, it's just the national ones and credit card pre-approved offers that irk me.

Remove Ads

Ads