dressing room trauma

I went shopping for a new bathing suit the other day. Usually I go skinny dipping so I haven't bought one in years. So I was completely unaware that bikinis are now sold seperately. I can afford it but resent having to pay $17 for a top and $17 for a bottom. That's just seems ridiculous. But I ended up not buying anything because of my dressing room trauma.

I'm in good shape but for some reason stripping down naked in front of that mirror was horrible. It's like the mirror magically magnifies any imperfection. I walked out feeling fat and depressed. To which my SO asked 'what do you mean you're fat? you're not fat'. Later, I believed it because I am slim but grrr what is it about dressing rooms and bathing suits that just chop up my self esteem?

2. # ADS

I'm almost positive it's the lighting. It takes a lot of courage for me to shop, which is why I'm on air when I find something I look good in because it meant I looked good in it in the dressing room, too.

It's great when you shouldn't be spending money and everything looks like crap in the dressing room but ugh, does it have to happen 75% of the time! Definitely the lighting.

Where did you find bikinis for $17??? That's a steal. Everywhere I go they are $35 apiece. It's insane. But! That's not the topic at hand...

I feel your pain. My last visits to dressing rooms have made me gasp in horror at my backside. Just remember, they're in the most unflattering light possible: flourescent.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimestitcher
    Where did you find bikinis for $17??? That's a steal. Everywhere I go they are $35 apiece. It's insane. But! That's not the topic at hand...

I feel your pain. My last visits to dressing rooms have made me gasp in horror at my backside. Just remember, they're in the most unflattering light possible: flourescent.
    I'm so used to thrift shopping where shirts are $5-15 and so are pants. The bathing suits were at a Target in Santa Fe. I still need to get myself a suit.

Dressing rooms should have soft lighting, mood music and chocolate.

Target sells bikini tops & bottoms for $9.99! The cute ones go very quickly, though.

You can definitely blame your experience on the lighting. I despise it, too! I'm so pale that dressing rooms always make me look like a sickly ghost with bright purple under-eye circles and a face full of red splotches. When I go bathing suit shopping, often I'll try one on & if I THINK I might like it, I'll bring it home and look at it in my own light. I've always been happy later, but it's nice having the saftey net of a full refund.

Nordstrom's is the only place I've ever been to that has decent dressing rooms. More places should follow their lead. (After all, their customer service is legendary.) Love the lovely Nordstrom's; I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

-- Steph

I'm almost positive it's the lighting.
    I agree. It has to be the lighting. Don't worry, Steph, we've all been there!

It also can be the angle that the mirror is hung at. The ones in walmart tilt forward a little bit, and it ends up forshortening everything they reflect, and making things look slightly off.
    If they hang it forward at all, or back, it'll stretch/shrink and forshorten or lengthen your reflection by a tiny bit, but it's totally noticable.
    If you have a full length mirror at home, look at yourself in it while you are in your underwear. Do this long and hard before you go shopping.
    You'll notice that dressing room mirrors are usually off some, cuz they're cheap mirrors, and the lighting is REALLY bad.

I just bought a bikini off ebay for $17! It's cute, it fits and it was cheaper than Target. Plus no dressing room trauma. I feel much better. :)

Ah! Ebay did that for me too during the horrors of prom dress shopping!

Remove Ads

Ads