Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

brand new kitten question

mama kitty just had four babies. i know, i know, spay and neuter. i'm usually all about that. but this is the best cat ever, with very cool traits - mentally and physically (she's manx/siamese mix) so i wanted to pass on her genes. plus, she's been so great with my babies that i wanted her to have the chance just once. and other than the one we keep, they all have homes to go to when they are ready. that's how good of a cat she is - everybody wants her babies.

ANYHOW, disclaimer out of the way, here's my question:

how do i encourage her to move the brood? they were born in my baby girl's crib last night (so baby girl camped out with papa in the living room). mama has since moved them to a corner in the bedoom under a table with a low shelf. it's a very safe place (and they should be hidden from the clutches of our toddler son) but i really have no desire to keep waking up to mewing for the next couple weeks, nor do i want any weird smells in the room, especially when we have a free bedroom (that i tried to get her to have them in in the first place, where i had made her a cozy little bed....) anyone have any suggestions?

2. # ADS

Can you fashion a safe spot for her, and then just physically pick them all up and move them, including Mama? Or, are you not supposed to touch them at this stage? The mother trusts you, right? I believe her most powerful instinct is to protect her babies. I don't know . . . that's a hard one.

take the sheets/blankets that she is using now and put them in a good size box. put the kittens in the box. mama can hop in and out. the kittens stay contained. mama will be happy if the babies are on the familiar smelling blanket. i've done this without any of them getting upset. a tallish box (like a tv box) should keep the babies out of your toddler's reach too.

my cats have always been so trusting i could have turned them inside out and they wouldn't care. so i'm going on the basis that your cat trusts you too.

Yeah, mama cats just want a closed-in, soft, probably dark place to keep their babies, so they can feel safe. If you provide a good place, and move the bedding, mama cat will probably be fine with it. I would agree though, to make sure they are moved by a person she trusts. Also, don't handle the babies too much at the beginning, because mama and baby recognize each other by smells, and you don't want to replace the baby's smell with your own.

the boy now knows about the kittens, but for some strange reason, he knows to leave them alone. so far. it's strange. hopefully i'm not jinxing myself. she's got them in a safe place - moved them under an end table with a low shelf, wedged behind a box in the corner of the room. i have provided a box w/blanket for her to move them into if she wants. i just really don't want to move them. i'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with me touching them, but it would require moving the table that they are under... so far, they haven't proven to be a problem as far as keeping me up all night, other than their first night. and i was just freaking out that they would get terrorized. but it's not fair - i want to see them more - i don't even know if any of them are tailless yet!

You still should have spayed her. You just took homes away from kittens who were already here and their traits were just as wonderful.

spaying is in the immediate future for her. i am a responsible pet owner, she being a rescued kitten herself (as have all of my others - some bottle-fed - with the exception of one that was from a friend) we have waited 5 years for her to have a litter; this was a very planned and much anticipated pregnancy. she is a very caring and nurturing cat who has been a wonderful second mommy to my babies, and a very important member of the family. it is an animals nature to reproduce and care for their young and i didn't want to rob her of that same chance just once.

Yay kittens! One thing to be careful of -- make sure mama has enough space in there with her kitties; because sometimes unexperienced kitty-mamas squish/suffocate their babies if they're in a cramped space.

I think you can pet the kittens though, if you can reach them. I don't have anything to back that up other than to say "we always did"!

she sounds awesome. can't add anything else except...have fun!

crept into the corner with the digital camera so i could get a better look while she was out of the room - at least 2 of the 4 are tailless! very excited. honestly, after having her for so long, cats WITH tails are kind of weird to me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads