Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another pill question

Hallooo all. Okay, here's the problem: for the next three months my period will be coming right in the middle of three important engagements of mine. Soooo.... If i completely skip one week of my "active" pills in order to get my period early, will I still be protected. Also, I'm not planning to take the skipped active pills, so my period will be a week earlier; I WANT this to happen, but is this safe to do? Thanks!

2. # ADS

When in doubt, get the condoms out.

I have no idea if the efficacy changes, but better to be safe than knocked up :)

I've definitely heard of week switching before, so it can't be too dangerous. After all, there's Seasonale which lets you skip two periods completely.

What about calling your gynecologist and asking? I know a friend has a similar situation, and her gynecologist steered her in the right direction to make sure she was changing things up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwaterdesigns
    What about calling your gynecologist and asking? I know a friend has a similar situation, and her gynecologist steered her in the right direction to make sure she was changing things up correctly.
    Yes, definitely call your gynecologist. This is a common question that women ask them and the answer will depend on your specific perscription and other factors that your gynecologist is best suited to answer.

i think usually what people do in that situation is, instead of skipping active pills, to skip the placebo pills and go straight to the next pill pack, thus skipping having a period but remaining protected. i would guess that is what your doctor will tell you to do-- what with seasonale etc. it is apparently quite safe not to have your period for a few months.

I would just go three months without any periods- like belleepoque says. If you try and get your period to come early- by missing a week- won't that mean that the next two will be early too- I guess you've done the maths on this one, but just thought i'd mention it!
    When I used to take the pill I often went several months without a period- by skipping the 'week off'- this was ok'd by my doctor so maybe you should check in with yours- never did me any harm- and incase you wonder, when you finally do get a period it's not some horrific four months worth- it's just like normal.

Skip the placebo pills, but I would still recommend using a condom and also talking to your gyno.

My gyne doctor had told me to skip the placebo pills and go on to the next pack if my period would lie on my wedding date and she said that you would still be protected.

also, you can only do the skip-your-period thing if you aren't on the tricyclic kind of pills - it has to be the mono-dose ones for it to work properly, and for you to still be protected... (according to my planned parenthood, anyway!)

you can only do the skip-your-period thing if you aren't on the tricyclic kind of pills - it has to be the mono-dose ones for it to work properly, and for you to still be protected
    No, that is very correct, it has to be the mono-dose pills. According to my Dr skipping with the tricyclic pills can really mess with your harmones too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads