Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fun board or card games?

My best friend's birthday is coming up and she loves to play games like Apples to Apples, Skip-Bo, Scene It, and the new Trivial Persuit when we have game nights. I would like to find another fun game to get her as a gift that we can all enjoy, any recommendations?

2. # ADS

A game my family played a lot was Fictionary - all you need to play it is a dictionary and some pencils and paper.

One person selects an unfamiliar word from the dictionary, and reads it aloud with spelling and pronunciation (but not the definition). That person writes down the real definition of the word, and all the other players make up fake definitions and write them down.

Everyone passes their definition to the person with the dictionary, who reads them aloud. Then the players vote on which definition is real. If you guess correctly, you get a point. You also get a point for each person who guesses your fake definition is the real one. The person holding the dictionary isn't eligible to win points for that round, so the dictionary gets passed to the next person, and everyone takes turns.

The game ends when someone reaches a pre-determined number of points, or when everybody feels like calling it quits.

Obviously, this game works best with a group of players who all have about the same vocabulary level.

As for games to give as gifts, I like Cranium a lot (though I've only played it once), and Scrabble is my all-time favorite.

Cranium is really fun!

Great thread -- I love board games!

Cranium is definitely fun (my boyfriend gave it to my family for Christmas, we had a lot of fun playing it while I was home for the holidays).

I like Risk a lot, too, but I actually like the Lord of the Rings version best (if you can still get it) because it comes with a ring that migrates slowly to Mount Doom, and once the ring gets to Mount Doom the game is over. Regular Risk (without the ring) takes forever.

My old standbys for favorite card games are Bullshit, Asshole and Crazy Eights. (For some reason I've never liked Uno though -- I guess it's just that having to have a special deck for what is basically Crazy Eights makes me grumpy).

I like poker too. Mostly just Five Card Draw, though.

One of my best friends made a Truth or Dare Jenga set. Basically, she took a regular Jenga set and wrote Truths and Dares on all the blocks with Sharpies. Then before you pull a block out of the Jenga pile you have to say if you're going with Truth or Dare, and do whatever the block tells you. It's fun to make that yourself because that way you know your own comfort level with your particular group of friends, and you can make them as scandalous or not-scandalous as you like. (This particular friend had a group of us over for drinks to write Truths or Dares on her Jenga blocks -- but I have to warn you, drinking and making up the dares do not mix! We had to cut one guy off from writing anything as his dares got progressively grosser the more he drank, culminating in "I dare you to lick the toilet seat." Ew. That block had to be discarded.)

I'm sure I'll think of more ... did I mention I love board games?

i love games. love. them. unfortunately, the mr. doesn't, so i'm forever underfed in the game department. i can't wait 'til my daughter is old enough- i'm going to be the one doing the begging "pleeeease? just one more game, honey?"

i just played quiddler for the first time, which is kind of a cross between two of my favorites' scrabble and gin rummy.

i also love spoons. fictionary is lots of fun, too, though i never knew the name for it! i guess i'm not up on new games, but generally, if they involve words or speed, i like them.

cranium is really fun, but you have to have enough people. the best time i've had playing it had 4 teams of 3 people or so.

if you're going to do a game involving dares, make sure you're not playing with a really hardcore truth-or-dare type. i have a friend who once drank his own pee on a dare. ew.

i used to play Bullshit *all the time* in junior high. it was really popular. i learned a pretty fun drinking/punching card game my friend calls Egyptian Ratfuck a few years ago, but i think he might have made the rules up as we went along.

My old roommates introduced me to a card game called Phase 10 back when I was living in Queens. It's kind of hard to explain: It has it's own deck (so you'd probably find it next to Uno at the store) and the object is to make certain hands for each "phase" such as all on color or 3 sets of the same number. It is so much fun because everyone gets frustrated with their cards and yells and bitches. So maybe it's best to play this game with people you already know pretty well. :)

My friends from high school and I used to always play games and I think the best game we played was Catch Phrase. It's really quick but it's so fun you can play it over and over again. Plus it's really loud, which I like.

Sequence!! You can play with 2 to 8 players.

I liked playing Egyptian Rat Screw a lot...
    But the Star Wars edition of Trivial Pursuit is my real fire. I did best when I was mildly intoxicated, although I think I was talking a lot louder than I needed to.
    Imaginiff is a good game to play with a group of people who know each other.
    Annnd... Hm. My friend and I are both ruthless to the max, and we played Monopoly Junior for an hour and a half before going into a "sudden death" round. (We each had a dollar and played like that. All of the spaces had houses on them. It was the most intense minute and a half of my life.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads