Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speaking of cats...

Here I am, with my thumb bandaged up. Yes...I decided it was time for Kaatje to get her nails trimmed. I got 2 nails done, then she freaked on me, grabbed my hand w/ her claws, tried to bite me, and ran off. But she's so predictable, that I KNEW she would run upstairs, and all the BR doors were closed. So I grabbed a fleece blanket from the couch and caught her on her way back down! Very firmly held her all wrapped up and gave her a lecture about clawing mommy! She was good about letting me do the rest. But I can never get the "thumbs" done. So, anyway, I have this little gash in my thumb, which was stinging still this morning, and a few scratches on the back of my hand.
    Then tonite, Otis was just settin' on the couch, so i told my DH to wrap him in a blanket. I tried grabbing his paw and he hissed and tried to high-tail it outta there. I caught him, but he struggled out. Damn!!
    By now I'm scheming a way to make a kitty muzzle and straight jacket, and thinking I need to arm myself with chain mail gloves!! Or else disguise myself as a Vet's assistant by wearing a white lab coat. Hmmmmm.......

2. # ADS

next time you go to the vet, have them show you how to properly restrain your cats for claw trims. you should also have someone help you. it's just as traumatic for them as it is for you to have claw-trimming be a big ordeal.

My cat used to hate having his nails clipped. I got clippers that are made especially for clipping cat claws and that's helped.

I also make a BIG deal of rewarding my kitty after I clip his claws. I even did this when he'd only let me clip two. I give him some sardines and talk all lovey to him-telling him he's such a good boy, he's so brave and strong, you know. I also do this while clipping the claws.

This helps the cat associate good feelings with the nail clipping and will get him to be more cooperative.

my cats are very patient with me when i clip their nails. i've done it since they were little. i have to approach them in the right mood though (all of our moods!)
    if your cat is never cooperative and it's always this sort of struggle i would suggest letting your vet do it for you on their appointments. my vet used to charge my mom $5 for her/my cat (r.i.p. tootsie). i think it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by tootsiecat
    my cats are very patient with me when i clip their nails. i've done it since they were little. i have to approach them in the right mood though (all of our moods!)
    I second this. I trim Aslan's nails when he's calm and quiet and looking to sit contentedly in someone's lap. I pet him a lot right before I do it, tell him what a good boy he is, and the entire time I'm trimming his nails I talk to him in a quiet calm voice and tell him what a good boy he's being. When I'm finished, I hold him for a few extra seconds to stroke the spot on his nose he really likes, then I let him go and get him a treat.

After getting this ritual down over the last two years, trimming his nails is no big deal. He doesn't love it, but he usually does eat his treat happily after the fact, then he usually comes back and sits on my lap like nothing happened. And I pet him and praise him again and remind him what a good boy he is.

I pet him a lot right before I do it, tell him what a good boy he is, and the entire time I'm trimming his nails I talk to him in a quiet calm voice and tell him what a good boy he's being. When I'm finished, I hold him for a few extra seconds to stroke the spot on his nose he really likes, then I let him go and get him a treat.
    ditto. minus the petting afterward part. i need to let my cats go ASAP when we're done clipping. i like to let them know they're free. if it takes more than 1 minute. they're done no matter where i leave off.

if your cat is all over when you walk in the door, that's a good time to do it. my cats are so happy to have my attention that i take advantage of it!

I also make a BIG deal of rewarding my kitty after I clip his claws. I even did this when he'd only let me clip two. I give him some sardines and talk all lovey to him-telling him he's such a good boy, he's so brave and strong, you know. I also do this while clipping the claws.
    if your cat is all over when you walk in the door, that's a good time to do it. my cats are so happy to have my attention that i take advantage of it
    yes! Yes!! and YES!!! But I reward with catnip, for some bizzare reason, my boy Allistaire does not really like fresh food but loves his kitty herb!

And it's an absolute must to do the cliping AS SOON AS my husband and I walk in the door from being at work all day. Allistaire is so happy to see me and my husband (we arrive home at the same time being that we commute together), that I could shave him bald and he wouldn't care! He just sits there purring up a storm.

I hold our cat, while husband clips (with cat nail trimers) and we always start with the thumbs first. It works for us. And we also have been doing it since his was a tiny 8 week old kitten. We get all the nails mostly every time we clip, even the backs. (this is actually more important to us, since kitty loves to jump around on our leather sofa and puts scratches on it)

I usually do this sitting on the cat sort of thing, where the cat is wedged between my knees. It's the same position I use for pilling the cats. When I'm done with the clipping, I treat the cat to stinky Trader Joe's tuna cat food. The stuff is vile smelling, but they love it.

Can you work with the cat and gradually get him/her used to you handling it's paws? Once they feel safe with you touching their paws, they'll be more open to you clipping the nails. When I got my cats, I fiddled with their paws when they'd nap on my lap, and I think that helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by smudgy_cat
    Can you work with the cat and gradually get him/her used to you handling it's paws? Once they feel safe with you touching their paws, they'll be more open to you clipping the nails. When I got my cats, I fiddled with their paws when they'd nap on my lap, and I think that helped a lot.
    This is a great tip. I've done that with Aslan, too, to get him used to the idea of having his nails clipped. It's helped a lot.

Also, Aslan's vet recently recommended that we start regularly brushing his teeth, and stroking his mouth a little while I'm petting him has helped him not quite react so violently when we do that. (The delicious chicken-flavored toothpaste helps too. Because, you know, nothing says "yum" like chicken-flavored toothpaste.)

if it is too traumatic for you and your cat (it sounds kinda traumatic to me), maybe you should get it done at the vet?

i've been able to get my cats cool with it by petting their feet gently when we're just hanging out. same works with the dental thing, i just pet around their mouth. if you pet them (almost) all over, it makes trips to the vet a little less freaky for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads