Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone getting married?

Hey Crafty chicas,
    I got engaged last month, and as a vintage rockbilly sort of grrl I find the whole wedding hullaballo offered by bridal mags are totally scary! My man is the best man ever (practially married as it is) and I want this to be about us, not consumerism. I've never paid more than $50 for a single item of clothing, so the idea of a $500 dress is mortifying. As usal we're poor. I'm working, but he's in school.
    We don't want to elope as we love throwing parties, and this one would be fabulous! Sorry for venting, but I know you ladies have thrown fabulous parties on little money . The Mister bought me the Anti bride books already.
    thanks for listening,
    lilcatgrrl

2. # ADS

Congratulations!

I'm not getting married myself but my sister is (in June). I'm going to make her jewellery (not the wedding ring, but the tiara and her earrings) as a wedding gift, so that could be an idea if you have crafty friends and don't feel like making the dress/jewellery/whatever yourself... She also found a ring that she loves that's made by a jewellery artist, and because she wants to have a silver ring (she doesn't like gold) it's not that expensive even though it's handmade.

I'm not sure how they've arranged food, but I think it will be a buffet-style meal that we make ourselves (we don't really have any "posh" family or friends...). My aunt offered to pay for the cake (again, instead of a wedding gift - my sister and her fiance has lived together for years so they don't really need any household stuff etc).

You might want to check out http://www.indiebride.com.

Hi! I'm planning a vintage-type wedding, too! A rockabilly wedding will be so cute and there are so many things you can do to save money! First of all, if you already have rockabilly stuff, you can save by not having to by the crinolin! I recommend e-bay, e-bay, e-bay for getting vintage dresses on the cheap and also for vintage wedding cake toppers. But if you're having a hard time finding the dress of your dreams (and trust me, you'll probably become more obseesed about this than you think you will!) there are some really nice vintage patterns for only about $8 a pop on http://www.mccall.com in the mccalls and vogue sections. There are also a TON of great ideas to copy at http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/...edding01.shtml. It's a whole series with a lot of great links to explore. Also, a head is a head is a head. Unless you're decoratitng the church with a truckload of flowers, it probably won't cost much, so watch out for the reception because every person you invite is a person you'll have to feed. You can cut costs on this by just having a coctail reception and making the hors d'oeuvres and cake (or cupcakes or donut tower or whatever you think is cool) yourself and having a friend tend bar with a limited amount of drinks (soda, beer, red & white wine, and one really fun signature coctail with your name on it) and another friend play DJ with a mix you burned on CD or an iPod. Also, having less attendants will save you money because (maybe this sounds shallow, but...) you won't have to buy attendant gifts or worry about picking out an outfit that looks good on everyone. Also, if you don't need a registry for yourself, (you're probably not digging for gifts, but people will naturally want to give anyway) consider having your friends and family drop clues that you're registered at some site like The Big Day Honeymoon Registry where people can buy you "experiences" on your honeymoon (and help pay for it.) I'm sure that you could make the invites and decorations yourself, although if you have crafty friends you can enlist them to help or you might go crazy doing it all yourself. So congratulations! I hope this helps and let us know how it goes![/url]

A couple of friends of mine have done this: Instead of splashing out on a big wedding cake, they asked several friends (I think 10 or so) to each make a cake, whatever their "specialty" is, for the reception. The cakes were all put on a table with tulle and scattered flowers. It looked really cool and there was a variety of delicious, different cakes to try. It also made all the cake donors feel really special--a nice way to include people beyond the attendants and house party.

Congratulations!!!

I am getting married on May 28th (yikes!), and am trying to do a "different" wedding. We are doing a casual, beach themed wedding. My best suggestions are to keep an open mind, and just keep your eyes peeled! I have found some of my stuff at random places, and have gotten some really good deals by just looking around.

LilCat:

First off, CONGRATS! I got married just 6 months ago, and I know how you feel about this. I beaded my bridesmaids their own necklaces, and had someone bead mine to add a vintage look to my dress. I also had a friend who just ordered a plain white satin gown from J.Crew as her wedding dress...I'm not that into J. Crew, but the dress was very pretty and SOOO affordable (compared to the crazy prices of some)...just some ideas I thought I'd throw out there! Good luck and most of all: HAVE FUN! :o)

Congratulations! Try department store sale racks. I found my dress at J.C.Penny for $20.! Granted I got married in Vegas so I could get away with a sale prom dress. Anyway.. look at Sears and stuff too, you may be suprised what you may find. Do you have any seamstress skills ? Know anyone who does? Most things can be altered to make them what you want.

big party

For the party think of it as more of a cocktail party than a reception. If you break away from traditional you should have no problem. Just throw a party not a "wedding" as they are usually so boring anyway and you will have fun.

Good luck. Budget living had a wedding featured a few months ago that was really cheap. I thought the food was a bit gross but it showed how non-traditional can be fun.

An issue of ReadyMade had a wedding in it... I think it might have been from a year or so ago... anyway, what stuck out in my mind was the rehearsal dinner/party they threw. The wedding was in San Francisco, and the rehearsal dinner was in an open lot in the Mission (I think). The couple hired a taco truck to serve food and they strung globe lights on poles around the area. They had picnic tables and I think a friend's band played. It was very casual but it seemed very d.i.y. and classy at the same time. I really liked it (or reading about it anyway)!

Thanks all, some great tips, keep em' coming! I think I've found a dress on http://www.trashydiva.com/site/indexSHOP.html

It's the kabuki one... I'm still looking for a location...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads