Harry Potter and the Act That Must Not Be Named

I just finished rereading The Order of the Phoenix, and I could definitely be looking way too far into this, being disgruntled and bored and all, but there seemed to be some more than obvious references to the patriotact and all that in the book.

Of course, people argue there's libertarian politics in the book, too. So I'm sure I'm probably overreacting or making something out of nothing.

But, then, what better way to stop endangering civil rights in the future then by teaching kids through fiction that it's wrong?

I'm sure it probably wasn't even conscious, but sometimes writers reflect the times they live in without even meaning to. I mean, how could you not?

What think you?

2. # ADS

Interesting take on it. I was thinking that her books following the first one were a tad less creative. Sure, great imagery, good story line, good to great characters, but lacking the teensy little details that made the first book a delight. (I don't own copies or I'd quote examples.)

If she's imbuing them with politics and people are still snapping them up, that's fine with me. It isn't the writer's politics that appeal so much as her right to use her art as a forum.

The author is British, as are the characters and settings, so it seems unlikely to me that she'd be including veiled messages specifically about American politics. It's no surprise that any story would reflect the cultural climate of the time in which it's written.

I have heard some say that the books have a Libertarian slant. I'm not familiar enough with Libertarian ideology to have an opinion on that. I do think the author has every right to work her own values and beliefs into the stories. They're her creation; if someone disagrees with her opinions, no one's stopping them from writing their own book. She's under no obligation to promote anyone's agenda or appeal to the lowest common denominator—part of what makes the books so successful is that she doesn't.

I agree that the books have a lot of positive moral messages: Be loyal to your friends. Some authority figures can be trusted and some can't. Every person has a unique gift to contribute. Learning is good.

It's true. A huge part of any form of art being successful is how people relate to it and interpret it. So even if I choose to put an anti-patriot act slant to it when reading, like libertarians point out the libertarian qualities, I'm not that off, at least not for myself.

I thought about her being British and thinking, "Why should she care?" But then, the UK does take interest in some of US politics. A lot of the world does. and I could see how anyone could be mad at the US for the patriot act because, if anything, it sets a bad example. It does not show us in our best light, just our most paranoid.

But I definitely love the civil disobedience stance in the book. It's great!

I haven't read the book, but it sounds interesting. Can you give me examples of what you're talking about (not quotes - just the general idea).

Ha! And here I thought this was a thread about Harry becoming a teenager and losing his virginity or something!

The thing I read that reminded me of my stance on the Patriot Act (I'm so nervous now that the government is reading this and getting ready to ban Harry Potter, as well as knitting) was when I read "In your admirable haste to ensure that the law is upheld, you appear, inadvertently I am sure, to have overlooked a few laws yourself." Albus Dumbledore, pg. 149 I highlighted it, being the dork that I am, and continued reading, more alert for that sort of thing. Also, communication in and out of Hogwarts is being tapped, monitored, all that, and lots of rights get stripped away for the "protection" of Hogwarts. If anything, it definitely struck some weird little chord in me.

I doubt Harry Potter will live long enough to lose his virginity, but who knows! The books keep getting more and more mature. Maybe it'll be like a horror movie where the female loses her virginity and then dies, except a role reversal.

Wow, that's interesting. I haven't read any of them, but I guess I've seen the first two movies - repeatedly - as my 4-year-old loves them. I just read that the new movie will be shown in our local IMAX.

Also, I've read recently that both the actor and the boy he portrays are the same age, 14. But they might need to keep HP a little younger and Daniel Radcliffe could consequently outgrow the role.

I read that Rowling actually rewrote parts of the book because of the coming Iraq war and the political climate at the time.

And the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts was a spoof on Ashcroft in my eyes.

BTW, I too thought this would be a thread about Harry's virginity. hehe

Eagerly awaiting the six book.......

*must not read the posts too closely*

I haven't read it yet because I can't bring myself to pay $30 for it and it's never in at the library! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Remove Ads

Ads