Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

job search dilemma: salary history

so i just applied for this position within my company (different department) and when i turned in my resume i got an email response asking for my salary history. i tried just letting them know of my pay title (which has a pay scale related to it) and hope they won't ask anymore. nope, they asked again. this time specifically.

this job is perfect for me, and i know if i get an interview i'll probably get the job. the thing is my current department treats me like dirt and i'm really underpaid here (i'm on the very low end of the pay scale) so they can totally take advantage of that if i give them the number.

i told them i don't know and i'll need to talk to payroll about it so i have until tomorrow. but i really don't know what to do. should i give it to them and let them screw me over or should i insist on not giving it to them?

thanks,

jangrl

2. # ADS

You could say something like "I make $X, but given my successes in Y, Z, and Q, I feel I my salary is not an appropriate measure of my performance. This is part of why I am interested in moving to a department that will recognize and properly compensate me for my accomplishments."

Anyway, if they do start you off low, the new group may raise your salary faster because they see how cool you are!

Since they're in the same company, they can find out the number anyway I assume - you're just making them do work and they may not appreciate it...

You could say something like "I make $X, but given my successes in Y, Z, and Q, I feel I my salary is not an appropriate measure of my performance. This is part of why I am interested in moving to a department that will recognize and properly compensate me for my accomplishments."
    That sounds great! Wish I'd thought of that!

kindarana's advice is excellent. You're applying for a new job, right, so you are looking to move up, so it's not unreasonable to expect and state that you will be paid more.

good luck. i feel really really lame saying this, but...if you're underpaid now and remain underpaid at the new position, at least it sounds like you'll be happier in that position, and perhaps have more potential for growth and get away from the horrible people....yeah, that sounds lame, but any improvement is welcome. i hope it goes well and you get a r-a-i-s-e!

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    I would second Kindarana's advice.

If it feels a little forward to you, you could always soften it a little to specify that what you are hoping is not necessarily to move up by 3 pay grades, but to move higer up within your current pay grade so you're at the high end rather than the low end.

But I don't think you have to soften it if you don't want to -- really, it depends on how comfortable you are with being so direct. If you're comfortable with it, it will come off well whether you soften it or not.

when i was asked this question, i lied and told them i had been making more than i actually was. they matched it, then gave me a fat raise a year later. normally i wouldn't encourage lying, but when it comes to making what i think i'm worth, it was well worth it. and it worked!

I think it's really shady to ask how much you make but I know that's part of interviewing.

I agree with Kindarana's advice and tell them that you make X but think that with your proven skills and work on certain projects that you feel you deserve more in proportion to what you are doing.

I don't know how I feel about fudging. I know that everyone does it but last month my partner's sister did that and she had the job. But when they found out that she fibbed then they withdrew their offer as an integrity issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss E
    But when they found out that she fibbed then they withdrew their offer as an integrity issue.
    I agree with Miss E. If you are moving positions within the same company, they are most probably gonna find it if you lied. Don't potentially put yourself out of a job altogether.

I have to agree with Miss E and athena. Since it is with-in the same company chances are they already know what you make. I have heard of this being done quite often.. They may be feeling you out to see your comfidence level on tough questions and your self worth. Tell them what you make but you think you desearve more because of skill and projects you've done. This is usually seen as a positive by employers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads