Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NYC/Brooklyn Apartments

in the next few months i will be saving up to live in an apartment for the first time (with 2 roommates). i know NYC pretty well, but not when it comes to living in an apartment there. i know that i cannot afford 95% of manhattan's rent prices, but friends have mentioned certain areas that are not quite sky-high yet (103rd st/columbia university area i think and alphabet city/lower east side). i have no clue what areas are considered safe and unsafe to live in. same goes for brooklyn...i know some parts of bay ridge are affordable but one of my future roommates refuses to remain there. does anyone have advice as to what areas are safe and affordable (ie: $1200 and less a month)?

thanks!
    -Danielle
    indieink!
    www.darksideoflight.com/indieink.htm

2. # ADS

Here are some sites to help you out. Good luck.

NYC Map Portal
    " The New York City Map Portal provides you with access to New York City data and NYC.gov applications with address level data and maps. Find building, property, and community information as well as neighborhood statistics with ease."

New York Metro
    Use left navigation to browse through neighborhood info, maps, etc.

Craigslist & Google Map Tool
    Boing Boing: "This hack on Craigslist and GoogleMaps is amazing: the service places all the houses/apartments for rent/sale on Craigslist as waypoints on a Google Map, color-coded by price, with links to the Craigslist ads. Wow."

thanks, felt! i will check out those sites...i am sometimes wary of craigslist, but who knows :o)

-Danielle
    indieink!
    www.darksideoflight.com/indieink.htm

No problem, happy to help.. :) The NYC Craigslist is unreliable, but there's no harm in checking out the open house listings.

Quote Originally Posted by indieinkgrrl
    i am sometimes wary of craigslist, but who knows :o)
    Try not to be too wary of craigslist. I've found apartments (one in NYC), roommates, furniture, and even jobs on craigslist. A little common sense and some smart shopping skills can take you a long way.

Of course, craigslist is not the only resource out there. But, in my opinion, it's an important and often very useful one, if not just to get an idea of neighborhoods, prices, and availabilities.

Good luck in your search!

i always use craigslist for apartment hunting...i think it is very reliable. just don't use it for job hunting!

my boyfriend and i usually have a $1500 budget and we have seen some very good apartments, spacious and cheap, all over the city. we currently live in williamsburg, bklyn, which i love. as for bklyn i also recommend cobble hill/boerum hill/carroll gardens/bklyn heights (i consider them all one huge neighborhood and LOVED it there when i lived there). park slope is a great neighborhood too. bay ridge is okay, but you're gonna be far out there.

as for manhattan, personally i like everything under 110th, the north side of the park. my absolute favorites are the west village (but extremely hard to get a good deal there), lower east side, east village, chelsea....basically i love everything between delancey & 23rd the most, east or west. secretly i love the upper west side, but my boyfriend hates that neighborhood so i'll probably never get to move there. we're planning on looking in manhattan in july, at the end of our lease, as long as i have a good job by then.

good luck! feel free to pm me if you need anymore advice!

I used to live in Morninside Heights (the neighborhood where Columbia is located). Three years ago I was paying $1500 for a 1 bedroom I shared with a roommate (she had the real bedroom, I made the living room my bedroom). I can only imagine that rents have risen since then, but there could still be deals lurking around.

Allow me to plug my most recent neighborhood in NYC: Astoria, Queens. Very easy access to midtown, reasonable rent prices, safe (just be careful of things that are West of Crescent St.), good number of bars and restaurants, and extreme proximity to the Beer Garden. I particularly reccomend the areas that are close to the 30th Ave or Broadway stops on the N/W, and the area north and/or west of the Steinway stop of R/G/V.

One more thing: I have had lots of luck finding great places to live and great roommates through cragslist, but it does take a little effort to sift through all the weird crap.

Good luck!

yep yep, I totally understand why you wouldn't want to live in my 'hood (Bay Ridge) I always call it the boondocks of Brooklyn, especially when I come home late at night. If it wasn't for that damn R train, the commute wouldn't be that bad. But it's cheap (under $1000 for 2 bedroom) and spacious at least! It looks like you covered all the cool areas already! I've heard that Fort Greene in Brooklyn is the next 'it' neighborhhood.

Quote Originally Posted by indieinkgrrl
    thanks, felt! i will check out those sites...
    Found another wonderful site for you..
    Ask a New Yorker

thanks for everyone's help!

august 1st is my moving date...i can't wait!

thanks,
    Danielle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads