Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Del
    I saw "Day after..." this weekend and I thought it was allright. (Nope, not going to back that statement up) But Jake Gyllenhaal as a 17 year old? Puh-leeze

2. # ADS

I *ALMOST* saw it, we went into a drive in movie theater and after a confrontation with one angry woman who hit my friend in the legs with her car (going slowly, but still) and got out and shoved him, having to speak to the police and my b/f backing his car out and having a mini fender bender (some scraped paint) with another innocent bystander...we really didn't want to stay for the movie. I'd just like to say I hope Karma gets those mean people who hurt my friend and then unapologetically parked their car over TWO spots just to be a**holes.

Also i hope that it's not too bad on the bumper of the people my b/f had the minor scratch and dent with, they were really nice, so hopefully it will all work out there.

It did seem awful and cheesy in a good way from the two moments that i watched while i was waiting for the police (boy on payphone practially drowning)...I don't think i'll be going to a drive in movie again, any romantic notions i had of a 1950's drive thru with families enjoying movies are now completely shattered.
    jt

I saw it a few weeks ago and it was interesting. Kind of slow considering how quickly the earth's climate changed. I loved Jake in Donnie Darko and while he was alright in this, I'll take him as Donnie over Sam any day.

I thought the acting was kind of bad all around. I never really was a huge Dennis Quaid fan.

See it if there's nothing else to see.

Re: Spoiler Alert

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda
    I felt that the movie was overexaggerating to scare a bunch of people into supporting an environmentalist political agenda. Nothing against environmentalists, I'm all for being environmentally conscious, but scare tactics are a cowardly method for a group of people that I would expect to be more intellectual and credible. Then again, this movie came from Hollywood, not a climatology institute.
    Brenda, It's interesting you thought so. FOX has been really careful to seperate themselves from any environmental agenda - and it's only with the movie coming to theaters that activist groups like MoveOn.org have started leafleting the theaters. I'm an environmental engineer and we had a discussion group recently about the power of this film to raise the consiousness of people in america about global climate change. I'm not sure, I think interviews/films from island nations like kiribati and tuvalu that actually have to make treaties with larger nations so they'll have some place to live when the oceans wash over their homes (as they're beginning to do now) would be more powerful.

my favorite disaster movie of all time is the poseidon adventure. i made the kids see it after seeing TDAT and of course they loved this classic Irwin Allen a lot more. Whatis your favorite disaster flick?

Re: Spoiler Alert

Quote Originally Posted by kari-star
    I'm not sure, I think interviews/films from island nations like kiribati and tuvalu that actually have to make treaties with larger nations so they'll have some place to live when the oceans wash over their homes (as they're beginning to do now) would be more powerful.
    Wow. Can you recommend any books or other publications on this subject? I plan to dig a little deeper into it the next time I'm at the library.

CraftyChica: As a general rule, I avoid disaster movies (see above), but I did like "Independence Day", if that counts.

:o)

The Day After Tomorrow

I am responding to the topic in general, not to anyone in particular....I went to see this movie knowing full well that it would have shallow characters, great special effects and would take me out of my reality for two hours. I really love these movies (hated that Armaggedon one SO SO much that I have to watch it when it is on. I can't stop myself - I love to gag during that Americana Flag waving farm children cheering part! Gag me with a spoon!) and this one stepped up to the plate for me. If you want to see deep characters and reality - read a textbook or go to an art house film, or watch IFC. I ALSO saw Stepford Wives and was so dissapointed. Oh please those of you who have not seen it - go buy yourself a bottle of skin lotion or something - anything, but not a ticket to this film. PS: Those of you who like the boy in it should see The Good Girl. He is really acting in it - and he is really good. Cute and good and all red lipped and teary and messy hair...aaaahhhhhhhh...... PSS: I am actually a textile artist, not just an uneducated shallow movie critic lover of red lipped man youths.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads