Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to go to New York City

I really am itching to go to New York City, but I want to go alone. I'm just wondering if any of you have any experiences or advice about this? I've done traveling alone but just in Canada and although I've been to NYC once (about 15 years ago) I had someone there to hang with so it wasn't so scary.

I want an adventure...any thoughts or comments?

2. # ADS

I say go for it. NYC isn't really at all scary as long as you don't do the obvious things like walking late at night in an empty street, subway, etc.

You can always ask friends for NYC contacts too. Always fun to have dinner/coffee with new people that way.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

i've gone to nyc alone. during the day time it isn't scary at all. even at night in manhattan you are pretty safe.

are there any crafty ladies from this board you are good friends with? you could all take a trip down to the city and hang out.

OOH. That would be so fun. A trip to NYC where you only do what YOU want to do. Awesome. I'm very jealous. :)

yes! let's have a getcrafty nyc get together!

Like someone said, try not to go anywhere alone after 10pm.
    And don't forget (as one of my friends unluckily did) that the subways stop running after 12 or 1 in the morning!

I live in NYC. Alone. And I go places alone after 10 pm all of the time. Even on the subway. Most people don't even go out before 10 pm (to "party" I mean). The city is pretty safe after dark. I can appreciate a tourist being a bit cautious but you're rarely on the street alone. Especially if you're in a neighborhood with nightlife. Which is just about every neighborhood. A little research and you should be fine.

At any rate, I say go for it. I've done a lot of solo traveling. It can be fun.

p.s. The subways do run after 1 am just not as frequently as they do during rush hour. People that work nightshifts have to get around somehow.

I think NYC would be an excellent place for someone traveling alone. There is so much to do that you couldn't possibly get bored, and you are guaranteed to see all of the things that you want to see since no one else is butting into your schedule.

I lived in the city for 3 years and used to take the subway by myself at weird hours all the time. But I don't reccomend that someone who is not very familiar with the system attempt to navigate their way from the west village to the upper east side by themselves at 2:30 in the morning.

If you've traveled on your own before, then you've obviously got some common sense. Be sure to use it and you'll be just fine. Have a great time!

i agree! go for it! new york is actually pretty safe as far as i'm concerned. i've been to other cities but i feel really safe here. there are almost always people on the street and something is always open.
    i have to also chime in about the 10 pm curfew: new york is a late city. people go out late and you might miss out on lots if you try to get home earlier. remember: you can always take a cab (or car service in the boroughs) if you feel unsafe.

if you are lookinf for fun things to do (places to eat, go out, fabric stores, etc), send me an email! kaytet@gmail.com

Hey, Rubychew, I would also love to go to New York from Toronto! I've never been, but have been meaning to get around to it for a long, long time! The timing's always been wrong, or finances have been low, or both of those problems have plagued my travelling companions. I'm itchy to go! Have you researched costs or anything? I think the idea of a crafters' meet-up is a great one, and would give we renegade travellers some direction. Let's throw the idea around! I can't stand not to have experienced that city, with it practically at our fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads