Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

best bead and fabric stores in nyc?

I'm visiting NYC and I'm wondering if anyone has any bead or fabric stores they would recommend. Especially in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Thanks!

2. # ADS

hello! you'll have so much fun here, first of all!

i recommend exploring the garment district a little. i don't have a particular favorite, but there are a bazillion stores up and down 32nd street through the 40s, between 5th and 8th avenues. i suggest you visit 37th street in particular, between broadway and 7th.

for trimming stuff i usually go to a & g, on 38th between 7th and 8th. there's also enn dee, one block over between 8th and 9th, and dantex, on 39th between 7th and 8th.

even if you just walk around that neighborhood you will see tons of places for fabric, trim and beads. let me know if you need any other suggestions, and have a fun trip!

I do have a favorite fabric shop on 38th between 7th & 8th, but I have no idea what the name is! I find 37th and 38th between 7th & 8th my best bet for fabric and trimmings. B&J fabric is very professional, has great selection and is the first choice for many broadway costumers, but I think it is quite expensive.
    There is a good beading store on B'way between 37 & 38 and a few more on 6th ave between also, I seem to remember a beading store down between 4th and 6th in the teens, but I don't know if it still there.
    Good luck!

Threads magazine has a downloadable guide to New York fabric stores:

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/nmt034.asp

-S

There's a fabric store on either 36, 37, or 38th between 7th & 8th avenue called Moods. It's big and I love their selection.

As for beads, there's a place called Big Stone on 29th & 5th, or at least there was. There are a TON of bead stores in that nabe -- you'll need a tax-free license (or whatever it's called) for most of them, but Big Stone will let you get away without it. I've had good luck there, though I haven't been by in a while.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by E. Bess
    As for beads, there's a place called Big Stone on 29th & 5th, or at least there was. There are a TON of bead stores in that nabe -- you'll need a tax-free license (or whatever it's called) for most of them, but Big Stone will let you get away without it. I've had good luck there, though I haven't been by in a while.

Have fun!
    I love Big Stone! I'm pretty sure it's on B'way and 28th or 29th, but it's definitely right across from the 28th St. N/R station. No tax id required, tons of semi-precious beads, Swarovski crystals and their counterparts, painted porcelain beads and more. Good prices and selection.

For trim/cheap yarn, I go to Daytona Trimming on 39th between 7th and 8th. There's also a little tiny shop near Daytona, closer to 8th that has a random selection of yarn, too.

Welcome and enjoy, Miss Rachel!

i second daytona trimming. great place.

Ooo.... what kind of yarn do they have?

I tend to hit P&S on lower Broadway for my cheap yarn needs, namely because I don't know of other spots around town that offer things like Lion Brand. Anyone know any others?

Quote Originally Posted by E. Bess
    Ooo.... what kind of yarn do they have?

I tend to hit P&S on lower Broadway for my cheap yarn needs, namely because I don't know of other spots around town that offer things like Lion Brand. Anyone know any others?
    Daytona has a moderately good selection of Lion Brand, as well as Bernat, Red Heart and some Patons. They also carry the Clover bamboo needles and the Boye aluminum line. You can get nicer wools and novelty yarns there as well. The yarn dept. is to the left and up the stairs as you walk in. And the older gentleman at the check-out counter is so nice. I love shopping there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads