Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

White Smoke - Pope Benedict XVI

And the bells are ringing... just a short time till we find out who the new pope is.

2. # ADS

Ah ha! I was wondering why my elderly father was glued to the TV and I couldn't hear Bob Barker or John Wayne.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
    Once the archbishop of Munich and for many years prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, Ratzinger, 77, is one of the most powerful men in the Vatican and is widely acknowledged as a leading theologian. Ratzinger has served for 20 years as John Paul II's chief theological adviser. As a young priest he was on the progressive side of theological debates but shifted to the right after the student revolutions of 1968. In the Vatican, he has been the driving force behind crackdowns on liberation theology, religious pluralism, challenges to traditional moral teachings on issues such as homosexuality, and dissent on such issues as women's ordination. The dean of the College of Cardinals since November 2002, he was elevated to cardinal by Pope Paul VI in June 1977. (from CNN)

More from BBC

and wow, wikipedia has already updated his entry.

oh GREAT... i'm not a Catholic. i'm not even a Christian. actually, i don't even believe in god... but there goes the neighborhood.

it's interesting that they would appoint someone who would bring the church backwards. it's also very interesting that they appointed someone as old as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    it's interesting that they would appoint someone who would bring the church backwards. it's also very interesting that they appointed someone as old as he is.
    I don't think he is particularly old in comparison to past popes. I think that perhaps our judgment of that is tainted by Pope John Paul being pope for so long.

I hear that the reason they appointed someone so old is so that he can act as a placeholder (keeping up the status quo) for a short time while the church decides what it wants to do about the big issues like women priests, homosexuality, etc. Then it can elect a new pope who will adhere to whatever the church decides on as their next move.

At least, this is what I understand from all the talk I've been hearing. It's hard to flush out what is speculation and what is closer to fact.

ti
    yeah, the last time they had a "placeholder pope" vatican 2 came about. i was hoping they would have someone who was more liberal. **sigh**

I agree, ti. As a "recovering Catholic" I was hoping that they would make a statement by choosing a Pope with a little bit more progressive ideas. Although, I suppose now I don't have to worry about reconsidering the Catholic church anytime soon! :)

"Fun" fact about the new pope: He encouraged members of the clergy to deny communion to legislators with pro-choice voting records. In theory, even if a Senator or Congress-person is personally anti-choice, if their constitutents are pro-choice, it is still his or her responsiblity to follow the will of the constituents. So he was encouraging the church to "punish" them for doing their jobs. Awesome.

Personally, I have a problem with the Catholic church's exclusionary tactics, especially when it comes to women, divorce, homosexuality, etc. I find it pretty ironic that while most religions establish that God is the one who judges us for our sins, many religious people (NOT all religious people though) make value judgments on others and their values.

-r

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    I don't see how it would be backwards when he has been associated so strongly with Pope John Paul II. Perhaps "more of the same" is more accurate. I don't know, I don't really look to the Catholic church for progressivism and I don't think its members do either, most of the Catholics I know find its traditions and theological conservativism appealing. I'm not saying that the Catholic church is perfect (believe me, I lived through the abuse scandal in Boston) but I think many people criticize it for being something that it never claimed to be.
    Of course, I'm not Catholic myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads