how does organized swapping work?

would someone like to explain me, how organized swapping works? for point to point, from idea to very well done and finished swap.

rules and everything, even the mailing part.

(as you can see, I haven't been part of any swap, and would just like to learn)

2. # ADS

I copied and pasted this from another thread from a few months ago that had the same question (so if you see the words "coin purse" just substitute whatever you would think of swapping):

Re: organization, my suggestions (and only suggestions, because there might be a better way, I'm not a very organized person): Post a topic that says "coin purse swap" or something like that and put the basics in your post:

*what we're swapping,
    *how you want people to send their info to you (e-mail or pm),
    *what info you need (real name, address, e-mail address, usually),
    *the deadline date for sign-up, and
    *the deadline date for sending out (about two weeks after the sign-up deadline, usually, although longer is good, too!).

Then when everyone's signed up, usually the swap organizer will put a list up with the getcrafty user names (NOT real names) of everyone who's on board so people can doublecheck and make sure they're on the list if they signed up.

After the swap sign-up is over, the swap organizer e-mails (or pm's) each person the name and address of the person they're sending to, and sometimes lists who's sending to whom in the getcrafty topic as well.

Another way to do it is for the swap organizer to send everyone her (the organizer's) address and have them mail their swap stuff and some cash for shipping to her. Then the organizer mails out packages to everyone. This is best for swaps that involve each person making stuff for five other people or whatever. Also, keep in mind that if there are people in different countries, the cash-for-shipping thing could get tricky.

I'm sure some of that doesn't make sense because I'm bad at explaining stuff and someone else probly knows something I left out. But I hope it helps a little! :)

All right, thank you.

(The thing is that english isn't my language, so I can't everytime understand everything. But this cleared things out.)

int'l swap?

does it work if swappers are in different countries or is delivery and cost too high and not worth it? it could also be that people get more excited...
    what's your experience?

paola

almost all the swaps I've been in have had international swappers. re: the cost -- it's not that it's not worth it, it's that sometimes people can't afford it. but usually there are plenty of people swapping, so it's just a matter of matching the right people up.

as far as my personal experience goes, I've sent to New Zealand and Canada without problems. in one recent swap, I had to ask when I signed up that I be partnered with someone in the US because I was low on money that month, but it wasn't a big deal, there were plenty of people in the swap who could handle the international shipping.

I'm not sure if that answered your questions -- let me know if I've left anything out! :)

great answer, thanks. i want to start swapping, now (but want to be placed in a beginners' group so that people won't be too disappointed). isn't it hard to give away your craft after much work? i fear i'd feel like a foster mom!!

Quote Originally Posted by paola sangio
    isn't it hard to give away your craft after much work?
    It was really hard for me to send away the stuffie for the stuffie swap, but once I heard how much my swap partner liked it, I was so glad I decided to send it. It made the hard work totally worth it. Plus, there are only so many small crafty things I can make for myself before I start to feel like a crafting lunatic. Making things for other people helps channel the obsession.

I've only been part of one swap and my partner was from the other side of the world and I found that thrilling!

I know I'm probably a bit tragic, :-) , but I think if you ask if people would be happy to swap internationally and they agree, it's very cool to swap with people from all over the world.

Remove Ads

Ads