Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

walked out of my job

I literally walked out of my job yesterday. I have spent most of my life working as a retail manager and I'm really good at it, I think.
    My problem was with my district manager and my assistant manager. They were/ are having an affair. Well, this of course gave my assistant the idea that she was running the show now and what she says goes and of course my DM would always back her up and defend her. I am sooo pissed!! I was damn good at my job and I got pushed out because of this crap!!! Did I mention that she's just a kid too (20 yrs. old) and he's around my age, 35-37. I want to do something but I dont know what. Has anyone ever been in this situation? Also, I didnt mention that the manager before me left for the same reason. She tried to go to the higher ups, but it was all dismissed. What should I do? Suck it up and move on, or pursue it?
    Help!!

2. # ADS

Oh man, that's so infuriating, I'm so sorry to hear that!

I would definitely try to talk to the higher-ups, maybe if they see a pattern, they'll do something. Talk to the regional manager, the human resources people, the ethics department (if there is one), loss prevention (if their actions are costing the company money, they will probably care), anyone who will listen!

I don't really know what else you could do, I totally understand why you would walk out, but I guess legally there probably isn't much you can do, because though you were kind of forced to make the choice, it was ultimately your choice. I don't really know about this stuff, but I guess you could call a lawyer that has a free consultation or something and see if there's anything you can do.

There really don't seem to be many laws protecting workers. My dad and I worked together, and he was fired on THE SAME DAY I quit. They refused to give him a reason, and there was never any indication that his job was in danger. So basically, he was fired because of my actions. My dad consulted a lawyer and they said that there wasn't anything he could do, so I'm guessing that there probably wouldn't be anything you could do either.

So definitely try to talk to the higher-ups, and if they don't respond, maybe try a lawyer...you might have to just forget about it. I'm sorry this has happened to you! Good luck!

I would have talked to the owner, or the dm's boss. All companies discourge fraternization between workers, and some even ban it, and is a cause for termination.

I feel for you, a very horrible situation. I hope you find a happy place to work. I'm sure you'll be on your feet in no time.

If you're really ready to leave the job, how about talking to the district manager's wife? (Or did you not mean affair in that sense...)

I vote to go back, deal with it for the time being, and look for another job. Once you have something lined up, you can talk to the higher-ups, and if they don't respond the way you want them to, you're not screwed. If they take care of the situation (which would have to mean firing both of them, I think, or moving them to positions where they have no contact with you, because otherwise they'll make you miserable), you can turn down the other job offer. I wouldn't just let it go, but you dont' want to put yourself in a position where you're out of work because of their bad behavior.

Yes definitely -- I think Sallysunshine's idea of staying in the job until you have a new one lined up is a good one, unless it's really so bad that you'd prefer to spend some time unemployed.

But in either case -- write a resignation to the higher-ups that spells out e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. Let them know they're losing a damn good employee over this crap. Once it starts to have consequences for them, they'll pay attention.

I think workplace rules forbidding dating are unreasonalbe and unfair -- but worse is when people let their romantic lives dictate how they do their jobs. People need to keep work and romance separate!

Why stay somewhere when you are completely miserable? Yes, I've been in a work situation that was unbearable too. Although not the same situation and circumstances.I was also Damn good at what I did,but what was the point of being good at it if I wasn't happy? I also had no idea what to do after leaving,but since then have realized what I WANT to do to be happy. I believe all things happen for a reason. And if the person before you tried to complain with no effect...I can see where you would be conflicted on what to do. Write a letter to the higher-ups letting them know exactly what has happened at their company and why you left. If they chose to do nothing then it's their problem. You will find something else, you'll be good at that too. You may have to change your work standards slightly(I cleaned houses for 3 years). The most important thing is your happiness. Life is too short and we only go around once.
    Good Luck!

SO sorry to hear that. Just want you to know my thoughts are with you...

Sending you good luck vibes!!!

em

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I have decided to go back to my old job after all of this. At least I could trust my old DM there and he appreciated me for the job that I did for the company. Unfortunately the money isnt as good. But I know money isnt everything.

xuli -- I do agree with you about the workplace dating rules not being fair. After all, my husband and I met at work. But then again, the two people have to be mature and responsible enough to not not let it affect work and if it does, make the changes that are necessary. Once my husband and I actually started to date, my husband transferred to another store so as not to cause any hard feelings with co-workers.

I did send a letter to Human Resources. If they pursue it, fine. If not, at least I had my say and I feel okay moving on.

Thanks everyone!

My sister was in a similar situation several years ago, and she ended up consulting an attorney who specialized in sexual and workplace harrassment cases. The attorney took the case because even though my sister wasn't being sexually harrassed by a person in authority, the actions of her boss and co-worker together were such that the workplace environment and the people in it were adversley affected. She and a couple other people in the office went in on a class action suit against the guy having the affair, the co-worker and the company. Once the company president saw that they were serious, he settled out of court.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads