apartment hunting

in the end of july i will be apartment hunting. i have never rented before and need some advice.

when you are looking at each apartment, what do you look for?
    ie: do the windows have screens, does the faucet drip, which rooms have phone jacks?

thanks,
    Danielle

2. # ADS

I make a list of "deal breakers," which are the apartment must have:
    wood floors
    no shared porches
    gas stove
    bathtub
    no landlord in the same building

When I walk through an apartment I:
    turn on all the faucets and flush the toilets
    open all doors
    insist on seeing the basement
    take pictures
    if the tenant is there, ask them why they are moving

Pluses:
    off street parking
    on-site maintence
    washer/dryer

Other factors:
    utilities included? if not what is the average bill? (Especially heat!)
    can you paint? hang pictures?
    pets allowed?
    neighborhood? (my rule is: no indoor furniture sighted outside and gallons of milk within walking distance)

I'm on my fifth apartment and I still learn a new "deal breaker" with each
    move!

Oh, and check out Digs magazine.com:
    http://www.digsmagazine.com/lounge/l...enthunting.htm

Brdgt posted a great list for you- very similar to my thoughts on apartment hunting.

I will add that if you find a place that works for you, try to visit it more than once and hopefully during a different time of day.
    In my past experiences, I've gotten so excited about the size and amount of windows in an apartment that I haven't noticed that the kitchen has no counterspace or drawers. A second visit will help with this. Also, visiting during a different part of the day will clue you in on things you may not have realized about the place. For instance, mid-day you may not hear the screaming kids in apartments surrounding yours or delivery trucks outside of your bedroom window.

Be realistic about what you want and what you need. Make a list of priorities.

Good luck.

thanks so much for everyone's help! i also came across a good article on what to look out for at:

http://ks.essortment.com/apartmentrentin_rvru.htm

-Danielle

great advice so far. I don't have much to add but a few things.

1. just be observant as possible, maybe even carry a little notepad and jot things down about each place. I remember after seeing like 8 places I started getting overwelmed.

2. Notice how the office staff treats you. We've had some rude office people while we were shopping around. Mostly because we are a young couple and they gave us the attitude of "you can't possibly afford this anyway"

3. Notice the area and the streetmosphere around the apartment, lot of college kids and noise? Families with kids running out into the street? Balconies or porches that are kept unclean? How is the parking? If you have 3 friends over who drive seperate cars where can they park?

4. A checklist of how things are right before you move in would be great. That way you won't be blamed for the carpet rip in the closet, or a disposal that isn't in good working order.

5. The reason to do this is because typically with apartments they show you a model which is in tip top shape. Once you move into your apt, there might be a few issues.

6. Don't be shy about getting these issues taken care of asap. When We moved into our place, the disposal was all messed up, we had a shower that had low water pressure and a leaky faucet, and a drawer in the kitchen that looked like it was about to fall apart. We let them know and they came in and fixed it all for free of course.

I am apartment hunting also. This will be my boy and my third apartment. I will admit that I hate apartment hunting. Especially having to go through the numerous bad ones and that the landlords are wanting loads of money for a hole in the wall. There was one where it was in the basement, no windows, and tile floor in all the rooms. I felt like I would have been living in a lab or something. So far we have looked at 3. Finals are at the beginning of June so I am not in no hurry to move just yet, but I hope that we will find an apartment that we can live in for the next few years or so.

This thread is helping me remember to make sure of things such as space, and not to jump for the first half decent one. That's what happened with the apartment we are in now. Lets just say it is very cozy.

Good Luck to all hunters :)

Remove Ads

Ads