View Poll Results: Which most closely matches your beliefs?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • God created the world and all living beings as described in religious scriptures.

6 6.74%
  • Evolution has happened, but was guided and/or initiated by God.

32 35.96%
  • God has/had no influence on the evolution of life on earth.

51 57.30%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Evolution or Creation?

I'm curious as to how Getcrafty compares to nationwide figures on belief in creation and/or evolution. According to a 2001 Gallup poll:

-37% of American adults believe "Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process."

-12% believe "human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process."

-45% believe "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so."

6% had another answer or no opinion.

These figures were widely published in newspapers, etc. at the time the poll was released. I'm familiar with the inherent limitations of polling and statistics, but it seems to me like those are pretty reasonable figures.

I'm using "God" in the poll to refer to whatever deity (male, female, neither, human, not human) you prefer. I'm not a fan of the human-centric wording of the Gallup poll, so my questions are different.

For the record, I am an atheist and believe firmly that our present world was shaped by evolution.

2. # ADS

I'm an agnostic. I believe that all scientific evidence suggests that evolution is right and that it's fundamentally unknowable whether there's a God who was guiding it. I'm not sure where that puts me.

I wonder how many people were actually sampled though, and from what area of the US. Because that can make a huge difference.

Personally, I believe in evolution. It's already been proven.
    I hate how it's so either or though.
    Some people like me kinda combine the two. I think maybe if there is a "god" or whatever, they could have created people in some other form back then, and then evolution took over since then. I absolutely do not think we were created how we are now. There is proof otherwise, and I believe it. Also, the fossil evidence shows that we weren't.

How about the Deist idea (from the little I know of Deism) that Nature is God? So in one sense, there's nothing actively pulling the puppet strings but conversely, evolution is driven by circumstances in the natural world.

I don't know, this is one of those things I'm still trying to come up with my own opinion about after 18 years in a Baptist church and school where we were taught exclusively that the only correct thing is Creation, that the world was created in six literal days, and that all that billion years stuff is balderdash.

I think evolution is the thing that got us to where we are today, but I also think there is a God, (however you define it, I think that's a personal thing and I don't think there's any one *definite* answer for who/what God/gods/etc. is) and that that God had some hand in it somewhere down the line.

I think. you don't know how evil I feel admitting evolution isn't a farce, that's how deeply ingrained it is.

Are those statistics for real? Only 12%?!!! Depressing. That's why Bush is in office today. I have no problem with people believing in God but how about acknowledging that s/he is a manmade construct?!!!

The thing that frightens me about Creationism is that consistently Creationist groups fight to remove evolution from school or force Creationism to be taught as a science.

Removing evolution is akin to removing science from the classroom, it is the basis of all biology and leaves our children unable to think critically about science. Calling creationism science is also contributing to our children's inability to think critically about science because creationism does not follow the basic principles that a discipline must follow to be a science.

I also find it sad that Creationist groups feel like they have to press this issue. Creationism should be accepted on faith, not science. If a religious person believes in creationism on faith, all the more power to them, but to have to justify it with science seems like heresy to me.

I'm a scientist and a religious person and this whole "intelligent design" nonsense infuriates me. Evolution is the single unifying principle of all of biology. My faith in no way means I have to suspend my powers of reason and rational thinking and completely ignore all the evidence for evolution in favor of some nonsense without any actual evidence.
    I also find it sad that Creationist groups feel like they have to press this issue. Creationism should be accepted on faith, not science. If a religious person believes in creationism on faith, all the more power to them, but to have to justify it with science seems like heresy to me.
    ITA with this: if you really really believe in creationism, why do you need science at all? It seems to me like so much of the rest of the extreme right-wing Christian agenda: yes, we believe this based on faith but we're still going to try and make up data to support us even though if we were as faithful as we claim, we'd be secure in our beliefs based on faith alone.

I think the whole debate really is, at heart, about epistomology: how do we know things? Creationist activists believe that the source of knowledge is Scripture, not science. They're not concerned that htey're destroying kids' ability to think critically about science, because that's kind of the point. They're trying to get rid of a system of thought in which the world is knowable through scientific inquiry and substitute a system of thought in which the world is only knowable through sacred texts.

Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    I think the whole debate really is, at heart, about epistomology: how do we know things? Creationist activists believe that the source of knowledge is Scripture, not science. They're not concerned that htey're destroying kids' ability to think critically about science, because that's kind of the point. They're trying to get rid of a system of thought in which the world is knowable through scientific inquiry and substitute a system of thought in which the world is only knowable through sacred texts.
    So, do you think "Intelligent Design" is a self-conscious political tool with no real basis? (just asking, because I do!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads