Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You know, this is just too weirdly coincidental. I manage a small public library in western NY. A few days ago, we took a call from a woman who told us that we had violated her copyright on the term "scrap art." We'd done a scrap art type kids program over spring break that we called "Trash to Treasure" but apparently we used the words "scrap" and "art" in the program advertisement, and this woman was politely informing us that we'd better not ever use those words again. She told us that if we ever wanted to do another "scrap art" program, we either had to hire her or *buy* the scrap materials from her. WTF! Who *buys* materials for a scrap art program?!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by researchasaurus
    Mostly I am annoyed by that drawing on the main page of SFSE.
    Amen, sister.

aw man, this whole this in just nuts. I mean really.
    I understand SFSE wanting to protect their copyright, but shouldn't they focus their efforts on the actual "So Fast Sew Easy" concept.
    But that's just me.

-gg

Hey, has anybody looked at SFSE's website lately? I have been checking their "stitch and bitch cafe" lately to see if any comments got past their guards...but apparently they have a new line of merchandise that says "Stitch and Bitch" on it!!! WTF??

http://www.sewfastseweasy.com/stitch.html

It looks to me like they have no right to be selling this merchandise. I don't know a lot about trademarks, but I have some idea, and like others have said, their Trademark is "Stitch and Bitch CAFE" not just "Stitch and Bitch."

Also, their trademark is registered just in regards to their crappy online "chat room" or message board, whatever they're calling that glorified guest book. So they're not entitled to any protection for items that have nothing to do with their message board.

A lot of stuff regarding trademarks deals with how well-known a trademark is. Before this whole thing, I get the impression that most people associated the term with Debbie Stoller's books, more so than with the message board. I think SFSE has very little footing here.

This whole mess is pretty horrible. Sorry if this is incoherent, it's pretty late.

"stitch n' bitch"
    "you mean that knitting book"
    "yeah, duh!"

the only commercial enterprise i think of when i think of stich n' bitch is "those knitting books" ... and the future crochet one!!!

while i would've thought the "sew fast sew easy" site was alright, they're not particularly crazy innovative or anything, and they definately are heavily influenced by other crafty sources. i think we all are, and it's relatively difficult to come up with something brand spanking completely new.

when i think "stitch n bitch" i think of feminism. i think of reclaiming craftiness from stereotypes, i think of crafting ironically and for fun and pleasure. i think of smashing the corporate and religious and tradition mandatated rigidity of what a girl is and what a girl does. girls getting together and causing a ruckus. making something tangible and wonderful.

damn, i'm a pansy! i'm almost getting misty eyed.

and when i think of "stitch n' bitch" i think of sharing. especially if it's something, like that phrase, that doesn't belong to me in the first place.

i did just get off a 12 hour night shift, so go easy on my typos.

xoxo
    steph

btw, i could've sworn butterick or someone already had a "sew fast sew easy" line. i think i've seen that phrase go around the block and meet the neighbors, but i can't remember where exactly.

i need to go to bed.

I kind of hate to bump this again, but I wonder if there has been any news of what's going on. I see the cafe is back up and people are leaving comments.

btw, i could've sworn butterick or someone already had a "sew fast sew easy" line. i think i've seen that phrase go around the block and meet the neighbors, but i can't remember where exactly.
    I believe that is "Sew Fast & Easy", but yeah, when I first heard of this business, I thought it was related to Butterick. I am surprised Butterick hasn't attacked them for causing confusion with their TM of SFSE (if that is even TMed).

What I am amazed at is the stupidity of their customers who defend them with the most ridiculous remarks. Either that, or she and her employees/friends are pretending to be customers. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads