Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stitch n Bitch Chicago needs our help!

Just wondering if any of you are aware this is happening:

Sew Fast Sew Easy complained to CafePress against the Stitch 'n Bitch Chicago group (which is a non-profiting group), claiming they cannot sell merchandise that says the phrase "Stitch and Bitch" on it, because SFSE claims to own it under trademark (uuuhhh...yeah....we're all thinking the same thing).

I'm pooped from all the typing on the other board. I just wanted to make sure folks around here knew this was happening. Their boards are having to be cleared over and over again from the backlash. Eeeesh...bad, bad move for a company to make around crafters, I say.

2. # ADS

Wow, reading the comments over there is pretty funny! Why in the world did they do that? I mean, how many books have been published with that in the title? Yahoo Meet-ups? Store sponsored events? Either they are idiots or as one of the comments stated "trying to cash in" and that just ain't DIY friendly, dude!

What I don't understand is that "Stitch and Bitch Cafe" appears to be the message board and well, that message board is pretty crappy! I guess she isn't making enough off her website to pay for better msg board software (like this one Jean uses, for example).

And what does this mean??

Stitch and Bitch® - Make Your Ideas Come to Life!

I hate to pick, but that has to be the dumbest tagline i've seen in awhile.

Or maybe it's just me (who feels disgusted that a company is getting greedy like that).

That they state on the site Stitch and Bitch® is incorrect (and illegal usage of ® btw- you can only use it in association with a registered mark). If you read their own legal notice, they have "Stitch and Bitch Café" trademarked. They're being waaay overzealous, and ruining their business in the process. I just can't believe this woman thinks this is a smart move.

Some folks have said she should personally address it on the site. And I agree. I posted in the Stitch and Bitch Café®®®®®®® that my advice from one business woman to another was to drop the issue pronto and do damage control. They deleted my post along with all the others that have been popping up. But apparently they can't keep on top of them all...

Something I said on the other boards- they only have a case if they can prove that the phrase "Stitch and Bitch" is most closely associated with their company. When I hear "Stitch and Bitch" I sure don't think of them.

If I ever start operating Sublime Stitching like this, will you please smack me?

I've been following this ever since the organizer of the Chicago Stitch-n-Bitch sent out a message requesting legal assistance (I'm in Chi-town). I think it's nuts to be honest.

Mostly I am annoyed by that drawing on the main page of SFSE.

A good perspective on the situation can be found here

http://www.girlfromauntie.com/journal/index.php

The author is the person responsible for the Rogue sweater pattern and many other good knitting designs, plus she is an intellectual property lawyer (in Canada).

SFSE's tendered a well-thought and reasonable response to the situation:

"Every attack you post, raises the value for the use of our intellectual properties"

Okay, so I was kidding about the reasonable part. That's certainly an interesting interpretation of law. And most of the posts weren't really attack stuff. It was more along the lines of "I'm a longtime customer and so disappointed..." I saw pages of them before they were removed.

Well, we don't need to fan the flames on this one. I spoke with Brenda of SnB Chicago to get her take on it, and she's more perplexed than anything. No kidding- what are they trying to accomplish? She's not ready to comment on it, and I don't blame her. She said she does really appreciate all the posts and info about it going around while she deals with it. She wants us all to keep the word going.

I think I'll open a Cafe Press shop right now. Stitch 'n Bitch t-shirts anyone?

eta: the remark about the drawings made me laff

eta again: On Girl From Auntie-

"Oh… and like others, I’ve been trying to figure out the reasoning behind the rebuttal on the SFSE guestbook, “Every attack you post, raises the value for the use of our intellectual properties…” The only thing I can figure is that with each visit to the page, their hit count increases, which they could use to either demonstrate the value of the goodwill they have associated with their mark, to demonstrate that they are indeed using their mark in association with an online forum, or to demonstrate depreciation of their goodwill by angry posters."

This reminds me of donald trump trying to register the "You're Fired" line. Is it not the same thing??

But I didn't take time to read comments over there either.

I can't believe I bought one of her books:( I feel totally took! Here I was thinking I was supporting alike minded crafty woman who's goal was to promote the new craft movement. In actuality I put money into the pockets of a money hungry monster who could care less about people coming together to craft.

Any word on how the battle is going? I noticed they closed the cafe for construction.

Both sides are being rather quiet. Although I suspect they 'closed down' the cafe due to the constant postings by unhappy crafters. I was checking it regularly and those type of posts were still appearing (and disappearing).

But nothing new that I know of. I'm sure we'll be hearing about it soon enough....Are there any SnBr's on the boards (who participate in the group postings) who can tell us the scuttlebutt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads