Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

D.I.Y. wedding planners

So, it's official, Me and my fellah are makin' it legal. Wheee!

(Actually, we've been set on it for a while now, but wanted to wait 'til we had the rings to announce it, blah blah blah...)

I'm sure I'll be pestering you lassies for wedding tips and advice as time goes on (we don't have a date set yet, other than a rough guesstimate of about a year from now), but here's my first.

I need to get organized. We're going to be doing this thing on the serious cheap, as neither of us want to spend a lot of money on a lavish production. Those wedding planning books that I see in bookstores are tempting, but they seem a tad... out of scope, if that makes any sense. I'd like to make a wedding planner that suits me, but I don't know where to begin, really. There was a link on here to DIY datebooks once with links to instructions -- does anything like that exist for wedding planners?

Any suggestions? General advice on planning a simple, cheap wedding also welcome. :)

Oh! And, engagement day pictures are here and here.

Thanks, everyone!

2. # ADS

Hello fellow-bride-2-be.
    As a DIYer and super-low budget bride I have found that that the Martha Stewart Wedding Planner (3ring binder style) has been the best for me. It has everything you ever thought you'd need to know about weddings (even how the ceremony should go) and is very pretty. The 3 ring binder allows me to put in any pages I rip out of other mags or print...Its kinda pricey (30 or 40 i think) but I got mine on amazon.com for only 9 bucks (including shipping).
    i wasn't impressed with a similar product from theknot.com
    just my 2 cents
    good luck. i look forward to comparing notes in the future..my wedding isn't until 9-9-06
    meg

NAP
    Congratulations!!! I got married a year ago and we did it on the cheap and I also made my own planning book. I bought a binder and those divider things and went to town. Here is a list of the sections I had (I had a destination wedding so some of these might not apply)
    -Ceremony (are you writing you own?)
    -Wedding Planner (we hired one)
    -Photography
    -Videography
    -Reception at DW
    -Reception AHR
    -Photography for AHR (at home reception)
    -Cake for AHR
    -Dress (I cut pics out of magazines to show what I wanted)
    -FI's outfit

That should get you started. If you have any questions pm me.

I am getting married on 5/28/05....coming up quick!

Since we set our date in January, and were only using 4 months to plan, the traditional year or two long planners wouldn't have worked for me. I also bought a 3 ring binder, and sheet protectors, which I kind of used as folders. One for dresses, one for hair styles, etc. It's been a great way for me to stay organized.

As far as budgeting.....my dress was from Dillards (I didn't want a big white poufy dress) for $100, found my shoes on clearance. Watch the Michael's and Hobby Lobby ads, there are great savings to be had!!! The internet is a great resource also, I found some things I needed for huge discounts. Being crafty is your best advantage! My sister used my crystals and pearls to make my fabulous jewelry. We bought glass vases and are using sand, seashells, and seaglass everywhere. Casual, and elegant...and cheap!

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

congrats on the happy news!
    my husband and i got married about a year and a half ago, and we also did it on the cheap. i found a couple of things to be useful. first, i looked at every "how to have a cheap wedding" book, but found the one "priceless weddings under $5000" by kathleen kennedy to be the best. there was a lot of basic money-saving advice in it. i didn't find any of the store-bought binders to be helpful, so i got an accordian file from an office supply store, and labeled each slot with something important [dress, hair, flowers, etc] to keep ideas organized. i got one round of bridal magazines to help me remember all the different categories for the binder. i found my dress in the dress department of bloomingdales, but i did also look at a bridal salon, not at bridal gowns, but at brides maid dresses. what no one tells you is that brides maid dresses can be ordered in white, cream, etc. and this can save you a boat load of cash. also, when you pick your location, remember that the more beautiful the place is, the less you have to spend on decorations. lastly, don't be afraid to ask friend and family for help. i had a friend take photos, my brother cooked all the food, my mom and i did my hair and makeup. i hope this is helpful! and, don't forget to relax and have a great time!!!

oh, i forgot one major money saving tip- if you don't care about having a traditional wedding cake [those puppies cost a fortune!] consider individual cakes. we had a french bakery make little moouse cakes for each person. believe it or not, it was WAY cheaper than a wedding cake. good luck!!!!

Wow -- great responses here, ladies. Christine, I love your suggestion on the wedding cake. I could probably get a family friend to make it, actually -- she has made cakes for all of our family parties over the years. Also, I think that $5000 is a good low yet realistic number to shoot for. If we can find someone to host it, it's definitely doable!

Thanks again for the advices.

Just a quick reminder that you need to check with the location to make sure that it's ok that the cake is made in a noncommercial kitchen (lawsuit prevention).

And acebeader... I don't know about you but the fact that I only took 3 months to plan the wedding made me a lot more saner than if I had the time to rethink all of my decisions... :lol:

First off - Congratulations!

I second the 3 ring binder, it worked great for me too! I found that I had all of these ideas, and as time went on, I just sort of started discarding them and thus, removing them from the binder. I think we all start out with an ideal (different for everyone, of course) and then narrow it down to what's do-able. We had a year long engagement, but in actuality, I spent most of that time bombarding my brain with ideas from the net. I would advise to not get hung up on too many details that won't be addressed immediately.
    I looked at it like this:
    Who: List of people to invite
    Invitations to make (or order)
    What: To wear (make dress, buy dress, rent tux, buy suit)
    To carry (flowers)
    Eat (menu planning, budget for food)
    Where: Outside, Inside, Church, Reception...
    How:
    Etc...get the picture?

We got married on the cheap; I choose chocolate brown and light blue for our colors (which worked out nicely being outside and all with the blue sky and all of the trees and flowers, etc) Our invitations were cut and sewn by yours truly (it was a mishmash of ideas from the net) My Aunt-in-Law made my dress from a pattern that I bought off ebay with fabric that cost around $80. We had a florist from a Health Food store do our flowers, she did them for $200. (Herbs and local flowers). Husband's cousin is a Pro-Photographer so he cut a deal (sort of) and charged us 1/2 price which was $400. My husband is a professional cook and so is our housemate, so food and cakes were done by them. I second the individual cake idea. The cake we put our toppers on was a carrot cake, we had 2-3 cheesecakes and one flourless chocolate cake. We got married in the garden of Victorian Bed and Breakfast and had the reception inside. This was cheap because we didn't have to decorate a thing. Our entire wedding sans accomodations for our guests was under $1500.

I guess I told you all of this as an example that; Yes a wedding can be done with out becoming a raving lunatic or spending $25K. This lil pharse helped me keep perspective "If at the end of your wedding day you find yourself married to the one you love, you accomplished what you set out to do"

I hope this post was helpful, or something.

Love and Stuff
    Dalva

Yes, Dalva -- very helpful, thank you!

I like your mantra. I'm really not all that upset over not spending a lot of money -- it's fun, actually, seeing what you can get for a reasonable price. And who wants to be a lunatic over their wedding? I don't get the Bridezilla thing.

Your list is a great start for my own. And I love what you did for your flowers! I bet we could do something similar around here.

The ideal hookup for us would be to get married in someone's back yard, then fire up the grill afters...

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads