Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY Network: Something ain't right!

Is it just me or does this network blow? It sounds like it should work, DIY is a great thing, but the shows are YUCK. Maybe I can stand a minute of knittygritty but that's it.

What shows would you pitch to the network to revive it?

They could rip off the BBC show Bargain Hunt but contestants could peruse yard sales and then compete to see who paid the least for the coolest crap.

Or they could do a Yard Sale Scavenger Hunt. Each episode a team would be given a list of random things to find at yard sales and then have to scour all day to find the items or be creative and find 'could work in place ofs'

Okay, I've already put too much of my fading brain power into thinking about this. So sad.

And you?

2. # ADS

I was just remarking this weekend how funny it was that DIY shows reruns of "This Old House" which is in no way about doing it yourself, but about paying a whole crew of experts to do extreme renovations on historic homes!

OK. I've never watched, but I did spend way too much time going through the project archives on the website after someone here pointed to it.

Why does it suck? This is distressing!

Does it really? I wouldn't know, my cable provider doesn't *ehm* provide it. I was really wanting to see Knittygritty too but if all the other shows aren't worth it then this must be why no one's pushing for this channel in my area. Dunno.

Knitty Gritty blows because the segments are no kidding 3 minutes long, then 4 minutes of comercials. I have learned a few good things from it. The jewelry making show is good too, as it has a plus sized hostess who is a little over the top, and rolls her "R" in her name "Jackie Gooo eh RRRRRRRah."
    Embellish this is just embarrassing. Only people who live in the midwest and only have access to Walmart will like this mess. ewww.... Other than that, that channel is shit. There is a show about Homemade music, like so many people are interested in making their own instruments, and then a crapload of junk about house and lawn. snooze.....

Suggestions for making it better:
    shows that are more than 18 minutes content
    Shows about things people might really actually do
    Shows that are not a total sleeping pill to watch
    How about a talk show?! Featuring crafty everyday people...
    How about a tutorial show, literally step by step that we can follow along week after week?
    How about a gameshow? Like CraftCorner Deathmatch but isn't stupid.... (and again has more than 18 minutes content)

kissmyknitz: Are you a television exec in disguise? I'd give you the DIY job, hands down!

I'll just say right up front that I am biased to the show I work with, The Creative Life with Cheryl Fall on PBS. I do the still photography and help with the web site content. We just completed 52 shows for season 1 and we start season 2 next month. That being said, I like the jewelry show on DIY- I thought that for sure they would run out of ideas quickly, but each time I tune in- they have something unique. I liked the knitty gritty show in the beginning-but the people who put the show together are trying to make it look to MTVish for me and the last time I tuned in they showed the host running a track to relay how much yarn you would need and I thought that was odd. The "embellish this" show has had some cute things, but seems each time I tune in, it is one I have already seen.

Anyhow, if you want to make comments and suggestions for our show, know that you can write me anytime at creativelife@pbs.org

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyknitz
    Embellish this is just embarrassing. Only people who live in the midwest and only have access to Walmart will like this mess. ewww....
    I find Embellish This oddly soothing. There is something hypnotic about the host's voice - not unlike a cult leader, I guess ;).

I like Knitty Gritty and Jewelry Making. I just wish there were more crafty shows (that aren't awful like Scrapbooking USA - ick, ick, ick) and fewer home and garden things. I think there are already plenty of shows on those topics, and hello - some people don't have houses and yards to fiddle with!

And please no more Celebrity Hobbies. The one with Emily (or was it Amy?) from the Indigo Girls and wine looked promising, but the one with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders doing scrapbooking was almost more than I could take.

Alison

Wow. 18 minutes of content is pushing the lame envelope.

I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can think that 3 minutes is good timing for a knitting segment.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadedali
    the one with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders doing scrapbooking was almost more than I could take.
    I sooo don't regret not getting a satellite dish. (Sorry for garbling the English language. I writes like I speaks, and I'm from California.)

That being said, where's the Crafty Chica Hour? Maybe they don't want to turn off the tole painters by being too hip. How about something on the art quilt movement? Mosaic basics? Collage art that didn't start it's life in a scrapbooking store?

If GetCrafty gets to take over the DIY Network, I want to help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads