starting plants from seeds

I purchased a few seed packets today: strawberries, basil, chives, california poppies and a wildflower mix.

The last time I started a plant from seed was probably grade 6. I am going to plant them in containers (they all look like that would be fine, none needs that much space...). Any suggestions for making my plantings a success?

2. # ADS

if you're planting them in the 'six packs' to be planted in the garden later, you can get a tray with a clear plastic top that acts like a mini greenhouse...while not necesssary it is helpful. Also don't forget to water the seedlings, i bought a tomato plant last year and it fried after i forgot to water it for 3 days in the arid climate. Then it started to come back only to die...so sad.

jt
    eta, if you expect to eat any of those strawberries, you're going to need netting or the birds will devour them all :(

There are a few things I can suggest...

- Use a seed raising mix if you can. It's got a lot more drainage and no fertiliser unlike potting mix.

- Keep your soil moist, not wet. Water with a spray bottle if you're worried about some of the seeds getting knocked about. Don't let the soil dry out.

- Plant your seeds about the width of the seed into the soil. So, you'd put small seeds on top of the soil and slightly cover them with a dusting of more soil - don't put them down too deep. Bigger seeds you plant deeper because the width is bigger.

Goodluck! I love looking after my garden.

yay for gardening :).

A suggestion for pots - I've started plants in egg cartons (the paper kind that you get a dozen eggs in), they're biodegradeable as well, so it's a bonus.

Thanks everyone! I will be planting this week... I am not sure if all the frost risk is over here so I will start them indoors. I'll keep you posted on their progress. :o)

Remove Ads

Ads