Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Has anyone tried both the Keeper and the Divacup and prefer one to the other? I'm trying to decide which one to go with.

2. # ADS

My roomie is having trouble with hers because she has, like, a narrow vagina or something. But surely she'll be able to get it if she keeps trying?

I think the divacup looks easier to manage than the keeper. But I don't know, I don't use either.

divacup first try..help!

hi all...new here...I just got my divacup today. Not much of a problem with insertion, nor removal...but in between I was not quite sure exactly how far the stem should go...it says just flush with vaginal opening...but, does that mean that I should have to go fishing a bit to get a hold of it, or should I be able to just pull aside the labia a bit and the stem should be right there, or what? It's fairly comfortable as far as being able to feel it, but it's hard to tell on the picture how far the stem is supposed to be inside...I just don't want to end up having it in too far and then not be able to get hold of it because I found that it's really slippery once it's in, and nails hurt if that's the only way I can grab it.
    I'm starting to think I must have a small opening or something because I found it somehwat difficult to get more than just a fingertip or two around the cup to get a grip on it. I'm so used to tampons, where all I have to do is tug the string and no worries, but I can't stand the thought of wearing them anymore. Any suggestions or helpful comments would be much appreciated!

Re: divacup first try..help!

Quote Originally Posted by wisemoon
    hi all...new here...I just got my divacup today. Not much of a problem with insertion, nor removal...but in between I was not quite sure exactly how far the stem should go...it says just flush with vaginal opening...but, does that mean that I should have to go fishing a bit to get a hold of it, or should I be able to just pull aside the labia a bit and the stem should be right there, or what? It's fairly comfortable as far as being able to feel it, but it's hard to tell on the picture how far the stem is supposed to be inside...I just don't want to end up having it in too far and then not be able to get hold of it because I found that it's really slippery once it's in, and nails hurt if that's the only way I can grab it.
    I'm starting to think I must have a small opening or something because I found it somehwat difficult to get more than just a fingertip or two around the cup to get a grip on it. I'm so used to tampons, where all I have to do is tug the string and no worries, but I can't stand the thought of wearing them anymore. Any suggestions or helpful comments would be much appreciated!
    bear down like you are peeing and the cup will lower so you can get a better grip :)

re: brdgt

thanks..so you mean that it should be mostly inside me then, not sticking out at all and it will ease down with muscle contraction and all that?

Re: re: brdgt

Quote Originally Posted by wisemoon
    thanks..so you mean that it should be mostly inside me then, not sticking out at all and it will ease down with muscle contraction and all that?
    Yep, and I trimmed my end - it was uncomfortable sticking out too far.

ok great..thanks so much!

i can't use a Keeper, and i don't want to buy a Divacup and have it not work too, since they're the same shape. i'm allergic to latex (which i found out from the Keeper) so it's totally out, but it also just doesn't work for me. i tried everything, and it still leaks when i move around. i think it just doesn't form a tight seal with the inside of my vagina.

oh well.

Some keeper tips:

*I cut off the stem entirely, as it bothered me. I found it was totally unnecessary.

*If I am sitting down, and I reach with my fingers, I can easily feel the base of the keeper. I try to insert it really as high as I can reach - that's the most comfortable. For new users, I woudl suggest inserting it at a bunch of different places to see how it feels.

*I always rinse my keeper with warm water prior to insertion. The fact that it is wet makes insertion easier, helps generate a seal, and I just don't want anything cold in my vagina (reminds me too much of a cold speculum in a pap smear!!!)

*after inserting, if you turn the keeper a few times, it helps it "unpop" and create a really good seal. I have never had a leak.

*To remove, I put a finger between the keeper and the wall of my vagina, to break the seal. Then I grab the bottom and slowly slide it out. I do this while sitting on the toilet, so that if I spill, it goes in the toilet anyway. Then I empty in the toilet, rinse it out with warm water, and re-insert. If you just pull on it, firstly, it pulls on your cervix and walls of your vagina and that can hurt; secondly, it can break the seal with pressure, and then the contents of the cup can splash out because of the pressure difference. Kind of like a ballon bursting. This has only happend to me at once, and it was because I wasn't careful to break the seal first. Using your finger between the keeper and the wall of the vagina works very well to break the seal. ALso, grasping the keeper from the bottom and *lightly* squeezing to alter the shape also can break the seal, but is a little more tricky to do without spilling. Practice at home first.

*I don't ususally have to use a public bathroom to empty / clean it. Usually I empty it in morning before my shower, and then at 6 or so when I return from work. My heavy day is tuesday, and wednesday there is still a lot of flow, but on Wednesdays I empty it after my night lcass, so I wear it essentially from 8 am to 9 pm (13 hours) and I don't leak.

*I HAVE emptied the keeper in a public bathroom, at my work, when I forgot to empty it in the morning. I bring a bottle of water with me, and then remove it, empty it into the toilet, pour water from the bottle over it (over the toilet, so that all the rinsings go in the toilet), re-insert, then wipe, flush and wash my hands. No problem. It's easier to do it at home and to rinse it in the sink, but whatever.

Hope this was helpful!

I've been using my DivaCup for a year, for the most part I love it. I've never had to empty/clean it in public as I leave it in for approx 12 hours. That's the best part about it. Insert it and essentially forget about it. I also find that I have decreased cramping and low back pain when I use it, compared with tampons and pads.
    I also cannot use the Keeper as I'm allergic to latex.
    DivaCup is made of medical grade silicone.

I always insert the cup during my morning shower. I do find that the heat of the water softens the cup and makes insertion easier.
    And I had to cut off most of the tip too, as it was super uncomfortable (pinchy) with the end sticking out a little.

Also, don't worry about it going up too far. The vaginal canal isn't long enough for it to get lost.
    For removal, I pinch the base of the cup between my middle finger and thumb. It breaks the seal and then I remove it slowly. I've never had a mess to clean up.

As for leakage, I've never had more than a spot or two. I usually wear a pantyliner just in case (a habit left over from my tampon days).

Glad to see that menstrual cups are popular!! I'm an RN and whenever I've recommended them to Pts/Clients or even friends they always look at me like my hairs on fire!
    I can't imagine going back to tampons now. I've even started switching to reusable/cloth menstrual pads for overnight, and they are sooo comfortable. And environmentally friendly too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads