Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DivaCup, Keeper, et al.

hi.
    i just got a DivaCup, and so far, so good. i'm "aware" of it, if you know what i mean, but i'm just attributing that to getting used to it. i trimmed the stem a bit, and that seemed to help.

tomorrow i'll be testing it out in the field, so to speak. any suggestions on how to discreetly clean up in a public bathroom? any hints on how to avoid accidents, if any? any amusing anecdotes?

do tell.

your (menstruating) pal,
    afro d.

2. # ADS

Be prepared to use lots of toilet paper. Unroll a length of it before you start doing anything else, just to have it handy.

DivaCup's web site suggests bringing a wet paper towel into the stall with you to wipe off the cup. A good idea, I suppose, if there's a place in there to throw it away, because it's not flushable. Otherwise, toilet paper works okay.

Most important thing to remember: Make sure the seal is broken, and remove the cup slowly. The last thing you want is to tug on it only to have it suddenly THWOCK out and...well, you just don't want that.

Interesting! I'd like to try one, but I keep thinking, won't it spill? I've never used a diaphram, is there a big learning curve for women who aren't used to that kind of thing (diaphram etc)?

schnitzle, I have never used a diaphram and my first month went perfectly. I had a learning curve after that, I leaked for the next 3 months but once I figured out another way to insert the keeper I was golden - and have been for almost 3 years, or is it 4?! I can't imagine going without it now.

Cool thanks Katrin I'm going to give it a try!

Im lucky because at work the toilet and the sink are right together (same as like home) so I just lean over and rinse it. actually after day 1 Im pretty good all day so I insert in in the morning shower and Im good untill I get home.

This is probably a tmi-type post... so consider yourselves warned. I tried using my divacup during my last cycle, and it did not go well. I had a really hard time getting it in, and then once I got it in, I couldn't get it back out. And it wasn't comfortable... I don't think it was far enough in? But I couldn't figure out how to place it... it kept wanting to unfold too early... it felt like a really bad wrestling match, and I was the loser. =o( Alas. Has anyone else had problems like this? Any suggestions to make it go smoother?

glitterfairy, I had a really tough time at first, too (especially with removal--ow!). It just got easier over time. It felt OK inside once I trimmed almost all of the "stem" off. Insertion is easier when I'm bleeding heavily or if I use a little lube on the top. Removal is easier if I kind of rock or tilt the thing back and forth (sloooowly) as I pull down--sort of like twisting a tampon applicator as you insert it, rather than just jamming it in straight, I think. Then when it's almost all the way out I can "collapse" it (folding it up like you do to insert it).

Sometimes it's still stubborn, though, and I just have to stop, relax, and start again, or give it up for a while.

I heard somebody say that running it under warm water before insertion will soften up the rubber a little. Don't know if it's true but I do it anyway!

For the workplace--I just leave it in all day and don't empty it while I'm at work. The cup is never full-to-overflowing when I remove it at the end of the day (though I *always* leak a little, no matter how often I empty the cup, sigh). It was too much hassle to be leaving bloody fingerprints hither and yon.

Quote Originally Posted by karikazo
    Insertion is easier when I'm bleeding heavily or if I use a little lube on the top.
    the instructions say that you're supposed to wet it. i'm sure it's for that reason. i had no problems with it. no leakage, no need to empty it during the day. i LOVE mine.

when you remove it, squeeze down on the base just above the stem to break the seal. you will hear a sound kind of like when you remove a suction cup from glass. if you pull BEFORE you hear that sound, it will hurt. so don't do it.

there was no spillage for me that way--just dumped the contents straight into the toilet.

no need for minipads, etc.

your (satisfied customer) pal,
    afro d.

Woohoo, I've now had my DivaCup for a whole year!

One question maybe someone can help me with: Y'know how, after you put it in, it can sometimes take a few minutes to "bloop" open and seal itself? Anyone found a better way to make it pop open instead of just waiting for it?

On heavier days, some leakage often gets through before the cup fully opens, then gets trapped outside the cup and leaks out later. It's annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads