Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving with a cat

Hi All,

I am looking for people to interview. I am writing an artilce about moving with a cat.

This article is not guaranteed to be printed, as I am submitting it to a mag who may or may not accept it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Katherine

2. # ADS

My kitty and I moved back to CA from the east coast last year. I'm up for any questions. PM me if you want.

I moved with two cats from Illinois to New York in 2001. You can PM me too if you want.

Actually, I'm wondering the same thing: my boyfriend's cat needs to move from Chicago to San Francisco but no one knows exactly how to do it. Would some of you be able to post a few pointers in the thread? Thanks!

I can tell you my funny stories about moving from VA to IN in 1999 with two kitties. :)

I moved from Virginia to Texas with a cat in 2002. Not horrible. We drove. I had a small litter pan that I tossed in the cargo area, and at rest stops I put him in it, he did his thing. I would give him water and food at rest stops. I let him out of the carrier when we weren'e in city's and lots of traffic, and he mostly just layed on the floor on the passenger side, or behind my seat. We stayed in a hotel overnight, and I took the litter pan in the room woth me. He's such a good kitty. I tried the leash thing, he wasn't having any of that.

i moved two cats from michigan to colorado in the early 90's. last year i moved again from chicago to LA with three cats. i'd be happy to talk with anyone who wants advice on moving cats cross country. what i've come to think is that there is no good way to do it. drugging them and flying in the plane is dangerous for them. never put them in the cargo area, as the death rate is huge. driving with them is hard on them, and tough on your nerves. using a third party transport is frightening, as you don't know what's happening in your absence. no good way to do it!

i _just_ moved our kitty last week (in-town) and he did pretty well. we're slowly acclimating him to a much bigger environment than he's used to (apt. to house) and he's doing great! i just don't want him peeing outside the designated recepticle or getting underfoot while unpacking something potentially hazardous. at least he's not freaking out completely!

we moved a couple of years ago across town. locked the kitty in the bedroom while we unloaded the living room, then in the bathroom while we packed up the bedroom. We got all the big stuff moved in before we brought him over. When we took the kitty we just had a couple of bags of odd stuff that was left behind.

He got used to the new apt pretty quickly, he was walking around all low for a few hours :) but all he had to do was sniff everything and by the second day he was fine.

He's a pretty outgoing cat though, not like my mom's cat who hides anytime someone knocks on the door. My cat loves strangers..so he wasn't too freaked out by a new situation.

Wow thanks guys! I am a bit backlogged right now, so I will PM all of you with some questions in a few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads